How about this wood handle?

jimbo

Here's the wood/metal hook i've been working on. Its made with a steel 2.00mm #4 hook in a cedar handle that's 5 1/2 inches long overall. The handle is about a half inch in diameter.

I'd appreciate comments and suggestions for any changes that should be incorporated in commercial models.

The finger pads are in the same area as those on the metal hook and are intended for a "toothbrush" type grip. It's entirely possible to make different grip styles as well.

I believe i can make this kind of handle for most hook sizes.. yarn or thread, and in a good variety of wood species since the softness of the wood isn't so much of an issue.

th_179e17bc.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Ooooo that's scairy, Three. Short answer is yes, but i'd want to take a very careful and thoughtful approach if these are sentimental treasures we're talking about.

That is gorgeous - now I want one of those as well!

now HERE'S a good opportunity for a sequoia/redwood branch handle, Pink...The beauty of metal/wood hooks is that you don't have to worry so much about the durability of the hook, since its metal (although plastic or other material would work too, i suppose). In fact i'm excited about trying out some cedar burl I've stashed away in my shop, that could never otherwise have had a ghost of a hope to become a hook.

A little dogwood, a thread hook.....hmmmm?? (wisht i could master Hooklady's universal holder, but i'm thinking about it) any ideas?

A little dogwood, a thread hook.....hmmmm?? (wisht i could master Hooklady's universal holder, but i'm thinking about it) any ideas?

dogwood? woohoo!

I don't have any clue about the universal holder... my solutions to things like that is duct tape. :devil (and AM really kidding, I don't use it as much anymore... not since that cat incident - again just kidding folks :P )

dogwood? woohoo!

I don't have any clue about the universal holder... my solutions to things like that is duct tape. :devil (and AM really kidding, I don't use it as much anymore... not since that cat incident - again just kidding folks :P )

Hay! You aren't just another pretty face, you're funny too!! I'm still chuckling at the image. I don't use it either... well maybe just those couple rolls i used to hold the head on my hammer (just kidding folks... it wasn't even a full roll).

Ohhh, nice handle Jimbo! I would definitely look into getting some for my thread hooks! Mine are sentimental, just the brand I strongly prefer to use!

Laurie:hook

aw shucks....twarn't much

Thanks Sunshine

I pm'd you.

Wow that looks great Jimbo :cheer Would like to see more and I am interested seriously as I have a few metal hooks that could use some wood grips.

Mary

Thanks Mary. I'll post more as I get orders.. hopefully some with some different and fun shapes.

Guess i better go buy some hooks for inventory eh. What's a good brand and sizes to get for a small set?

I've only just started with thread so I have no idea what's what...I have one thread hook, a Susan Bates 1.7mm which feels great to me but I have nothing to compare it to.

I hope you manage to work something out with these hooks, Jimbo, 'cos I really enjoyed using thread and want to use some more, especially for beaded jewellry, but the tiny little things do make my fingers cramp after a while. (This is where we need a smilie of stretching fingers!)

if the handles on the Boyes and the Heros are the same size... lemme do the boyes first and if they fit well, we'll substitute the Heros. Deal?

Looks great to me Jimbo..would love to have a few. As for a universal that would fit any size hook...what more could a crocheter ask for? I for one would surely buy.:hook

Workin on it, Silky inbetween python afgans (see my "Jimbo's first crochet project" post. I tell you now that i've started crocheting its a tough choice make hooks, crochet.. make hooks, crochet. What's a python afgan maker / hook whittler to do? ha

Kidding aside.. i'll try to remember and let you know if i get a universal handle made.

Archived