Help Felting

evelyn

I just found the wool on knitpicks so is it 1.79 a skien? and how many for a small bag about 8x10 crocheted ? I told you Ive never done this !

Thank you all for your help

It really depends on the size of the skein. You'll pay about six dollars for a 3.5 ounce skein of feltable wool at JoAnn's (Paton's Merino) or about seven dollars at your local yarn store for the same size skein of Cascade 220 (not superwash). I see that Knitpicks has $1.79 skein Wool of the Andes which is not quite 2 ounces. It's still inexpensive. Paton's and Cascade 220 felt very well.

You can knit or crochet to felt. The textures might come out different.

You can make a small bag with 3.5 ounces of wool. See this pattern:

Marvelous Tote

You can always increase the size for a larger tote. I've made the same tote with 2 skeins and it came out quite nicely. Always remember that whatever you felt is going to SHRINK!

For best results use some eucalan or some other gentle laundry soap. Put your tote bag into a zippered laundry bag. Get some old jeans to provide agitation. It's the agitation, the heat of the water, the change of Ph from the soap and the change of the temperature in the water that helps the felting process.

Evelyn,

For my Marvelous tote bag, you would need about 4 ounces of wool, which from Knit Picks a 50 gram skein is about 1 1/2 ounces, so you would need 3 skeins.

Dawnsrays has a wonderful pattern, you could PM her for the Well Traveled Bag pattern and you would need 4 skeins of the Knit Picks Wool.

The Paton's comes in 3 1/2 ounce skeins and the Knit Picks is 50 gram skeins. Basically, you would need the ounce equivalent for each different project.

Have fun making the purse and if you need any help, let me know.

It really depends on the size of the skein. You'll pay about six dollars for a 3.5 ounce skein of feltable wool at JoAnn's (Paton's Merino) or about seven dollars at your local yarn store for the same size skein of Cascade 220 (not superwash). I see that Knitpicks has $1.79 skein Wool of the Andes which is not quite 2 ounces. It's still inexpensive. Paton's and Cascade 220 felt very well.

You can knit or crochet to felt. The textures might come out different.

You can make a small bag with 3.5 ounces of wool. See this pattern:

Marvelous Tote

You can always increase the size for a larger tote. I've made the same tote with 2 skeins and it came out quite nicely. Always remember that whatever you felt is going to SHRINK!

For best results use some eucalan or some other gentle laundry soap. Put your tote bag into a zippered laundry bag. Get some old jeans to provide agitation. It's the agitation, the heat of the water, the change of Ph from the soap and the change of the temperature in the water that helps the felting process.

I recently felted a bag, using Wool of The Andes from KnitPicks. At 1.79 a skein, I knew I wouldn't feel too bad if I messed up!:blush But it worked up great! I probably used less than 4 skeins on my bag, which ended up about 9 x 7 x 3. I crocheted, using single and half double stitches. The pattern is Dawn's Well Traveled Bag, which is on C'Ville. Very easy!. Hope you give it a try!:)

Crochet world has a nice felted bag pattern this month , I think that one is the one Im going to try But a different color, I have to wait till next week to order my yarn ,Im going to use wool of the andes then if I mess it up I wont feel so bad, I think Im going to get 4 skiens I think that should be enough for a bag.

Thank you all for your help

Deneen's tote is a really wonderful first time project for felting. I gave three of these totes in varying sizes for Christmas and all were well received. Happy felting!

Evelyn,

For my Marvelous tote bag, you would need about 4 ounces of wool, which from Knit Picks a 50 gram skein is about 1 1/2 ounces, so you would need 3 skeins.

Dawnsrays has a wonderful pattern, you could PM her for the Well Traveled Bag pattern and you would need 4 skeins of the Knit Picks Wool.

The Paton's comes in 3 1/2 ounce skeins and the Knit Picks is 50 gram skeins. Basically, you would need the ounce equivalent for each different project.

Have fun making the purse and if you need any help, let me know.

One of the advantages of felting is that it covers up little mistakes very nicely! If you are a stitch or two off on your rounds or rows it really won't show when it's felted!

I know I am very pleased to see that! I am crocheting my first felted purse (without a pattern) & the first side doesn't look exactly uniform. I still have the right stitch count...I don't know what it is...this is my first time working with 100% wool too so maybe it's just the "stretch" in the wool making it appear off? Or I may have crocheted too tightly in the early part of it & crocheted looser as I went.

Archived