The myth of felting (true or false)

Tampa Doll

I was just going to toss these out and forget all about the myth of felting’ But I thought I’d ask you girls for your thoughts. I have washed them 3 times in hot water, rinsed in cool water and dried in the dryer all while inside a small nylon washing bag. They are not felting or shrinking. :eek

slipper.gif

I made them for myself and my DH John said don’t worry he will wear them, but every two steps he makes he walks right out of them. I don’t like throwing anything out but what else can I do. :think

I usedslipperyarn.jpg

John thinks that maybe the yarn was stale :tryme

Does someone want a RAOF (random act of frustration) sent to them? :thair

I used that same yarn for my FCEC Tote bag and it felted nicely... I will say that it did take me washing the thing several times to get it the right size...

Even if they don't fit, they are gorgeous!

P.S. I don't know if this matters or not, but I washed them in all hot, did NOT put them in the dryer and let it air dry. I basically just put them in the washer and kept doing it til it got to the size I wanted. Here's a link to the before and after pics of my tote...

Click here

I knew it wouldn't felt anymore when it got completely "marbled" but you can see all the fuzzies and stuff...

Okay here's what you do. You find two friends that own small dogs and give them each one and tell them you made them a snuggly dog bed. :devil

They look like they would have been awesome if they had felted. Maybe one of our more experienced felters can rescue you and save them pretty slippers. I really feel bad for you that they didn't work out like they should have.

maybe leave them in the washer and let them go thru the hot cycle.. and then not let them rinse and put them thru the hot cycle again .. or maybe add a kettle or two of really hot water .. also dont use laundry detergent.. you need like soap.. like hand soap or dish soap and maybe alittle vinegar.. THEN when you get to rinse.. throw in some ice cube to really make the water COLD.. and maybe the big difference in water temp will shock them into shape... that is the only thing i can think your water isnt hot enough or your cold isnt cold enough ..

Mary Jo I have felted with landscapes before...however it was not a nice even smooth fabric like with 100% wool....this my be very far fetched but I wonder if the percentage of wool was off on those balls of LS you got? Of course I know you wouldnt know that but just a thought....It does not shrink like 100% wool.

Also the method I used was very lazy on my part, hottest water in the washer cold rinse, yanked it out before the spin cycle, let it drip a bit, threw it back in the wash hottest water again rinsed cold and let air dry....

Im sorry about your slippers...:(

I had something similar happen to me and some Paton's Classic wool.:angry I went on their web site and called the company to get some advise. The customer service lady asked what color the yarn was. Just so happened that they had a "bad" batch of yarn go out in that color. They are sending me a replacement as we speak.:clap

Although it is no help in the hard work you've put in, but maybe they will replace the yarn and you can try again.

Best of luck!

Stacy

I would try all the above suggestions, the soap & vinegar, (just a smidge of soap) wash on HOT and rinse on cold and I have always let my stuff go through the spin cycle. But I always add about 8 tennis balls to the wash. It helps "beat up" the fibers. Try one more time!!!;)

Okay here's what you do. You find two friends that own small dogs and give them each one and tell them you made them a snuggly dog bed. :devil

:rofl :rofl :rofl:heehee :heehee Now that is to funny.

I have contacted Lion Brand to see if they can give me any idea of what to do. I would like to throw some jeans in, but I would have to borrow them from the neighbor.:lol

Thanks for the help.

Archived