Glass (Pyrex) crochet hooks

Gran

Someone on here has purchased one... She mentioned it in one of the old threads about those hooks, but she never let us know how it felt.

I've been wanting one for awhile, but just can't bring myself to part with $80. I found some very comparable ones on eBay that I got for Christmas, instead.

They feel lovely in the hand, and the yarn slides along so nicely... The one thing I've noticed with mine, at least, is that each one is different... The hook head isn't the uniform shape I'm used to, if you know what I mean. Like, on my K hook it's flat and pointy, on the J hook it's curved like a Boye... It's takes a bit of getting used to, at first.

But, the loveliness of working with something so beautiful and smooth far outweighs my displeasure at working a gauge swatch to get "warmed up" with the hook. :hook

Well, since the smallest size seems to be an H, I don't think breaking them would be much of a problem. I can say that I've used a glass dip pen before (not from that site; I bought it at Barnes & Noble) and it only looked delicate.

Those are gorgeous, but I just could never bring myself to spend that much for a hook! Really, I only buy the cheapie yarn.:hook Something about $2 yarn and $70 hook just seems a bit too odd.

I purchased one and it's not delicate at all. Since I do most of my crocheting while commuting to work, I don't use it very much -- I'm afraid of losing it. I think of it more as an art object than a tool. It's on display with my china figurines.

The people selling it are on the road a lot doing shows, so my order fulfillment was not over night. They are easy to deal with and safe sellers and the hook was properly packaged.

Just looked at the crochet hooks on www.glasspens.com and would like to know if anyone has experience with these. The hooks are $70 each! The website states that there is a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. But, are they really amazing tools or more glass art?

These hooks are beautiful. I would think using one would be a pleasure. If only I had a spare $70....

Guess I'll stick to my old aluminum tried-and-true.

Those are very very pretty and would be neat to pass down to a little crocher in the family. But I think one of Jimbo's hooks that actually would get used would be neater...(if he ever makes anymore apple wood ones...:lol )

Just looked at the crochet hooks on www.glasspens.com and would like to know if anyone has experience with these. The hooks are $70 each! The website states that there is a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. But, are they really amazing tools or more glass art?

Beautiful, Gran, and probably worth the dough. I've a friend who makes and blows glass and its an extremely time consuming thing.

Now a question for YOU.. have you ever seen or used a silver hook? I read somewhere about someone having a brass one, and gold plated... and of course steel and aluminum. But silver?

I'll answer my own question... yes hooks are made of silver. I googled it and found some really pretty silver, gold, and bronze hooks at Celtic Swan Forge. Beautiful stuff. And they're even more than glass!

Archived