Wrist Pain from Crochet

So, since my move to Kansas, I have been able to send more time crocheting (the advantage of still lookng for a job, is I have a lot of time on my hands)... So, I have been slowly building up my wrists to handle more crochet. Yesterday, I wasn't feeling well, so I spent the whole day crocheting on the sofa. Now, I know I should have been switching around to differnt projects and using a better hook, but I really wanted to get these Xmass stocking done on time. Now, my wrist is killing me. Not the wrist that was holding the hook, but the other one.

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on things I could do to help with the sore wrist. I can't crochet 'til it gets better, and it's driving me nuts. I've got a good wrist brace on it.... But, I want to crochet....

Hm, it seems you've got too much tension. You should definitely take a break and let it heal, but then afterwards, maybe you can try experimenting with holding the yarn in a different way, deliberately trying a looser grip? The tension can mean all the difference between being able to crochet 5 hours straight, or only 30 minutes.

I hope you get better soon. :hug

I have a wrist "thingie" that I bought when I did a lot of bowling. It fits around the wrist and hand [not fingers]. It's perfect for this kind of strain. I've seen something similar at Walmart but more stretchy.

For really bad pain, some folks wear wrist braces while they sleep and it makes it easier to do things during the day.

I agree that it is too much tension. I studied something called Alexander Technique for years. The teacher shows you how to do activities, how to move, without "stressing out" while doing it. I found it tremendously useful, one of those dramatically life changing endeavors. If you're int'd in looking into it, the local classical ballet company, or symphony, or opera house would most likely have lists of teachers they recommend. Otherwise, there are teachers listed on the web.

I take breaks, switch projects, alternative with chores, and find I can crochet faster, more evenly and with more freedom of movement with my Quicksilvers than with the other hooks I've tried.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am wearing the wrist brace I have. ( I tore the ligament in that wrist almsot two years ago.) And I do have arthritus (speilling ?) I usually take some OTC stuff for the artritus, but I'm out and the car is in the shop (DH is picking some up on his way home from work. ) ... I agree with you all one the tension thing.

The biggest thing for me is taking breaks when I need to. A few months or so ago I seriously overdid it and had a flareup of carpal tunnel & tendinitis, which was a big bummer because I had to seriously limit my crochet time for weeks while I healed up.

Interestingly, in the past few weeks I've been having less wrist pain than usual when I expected to have more--I've been trying to learn to play the mandolin, and I figured between that and the crochet that I'd have to baby my wrists. But they've actually felt better, maybe because of doing something that uses different muscles or what have you.

Hope you feel better soon!

OUCH! I have wrist pain and hand numbness and it is slows me down. I use a muscle rub, a wrist brace, handese gloves, and OTC pain meds and I keep on knitting and crocheting. I can't take breaks and read or such because I just can't. I can't sit down without a project unless I nap. I'm sorry I don't have more help to give.:(

I would definitely recommend ice and Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen, or any other OTC anti-inflammatory. Before I had both of my wrists fixed several years ago, that is what one of the doctors (chiropractor) I worked for recommended for me. I think it really helped delay the surgery a few more months to a better time for my work schedule. The soft gel ice packs are best, or even crushed ice with some water added to a zip-lock bag will work. Ice your wrist for 15-20 minutes at a time, several times a day. Good luck!

Laurie:hook

I use an analgesic rub and rest mine and then slowly (frustratingly) build the strength back. You have to know your limitations and stick to it or you suffer more and can use your wrist less. Be kind to your self.

Sorry to hear about your wrist pain:( . Its just as painful not to crochet. I was recently at the Doctor and complained of Thumb pain that runs down to the joint at the base of my hand. When I told her I crocheted ALOT!! Everyday, several hours a day (plus painting and drawing), she suggested that I use warmth to help soothe them. She said they often use those parafin wax hand things for therapy for arthritis in the hands. I have'nt gotten one yet but I plan on trying it. I figure...what have I got to lose but the pain in my thumbs and I'll have really soft hands too!

Hope you find relief!

Lisa

i normally don't crochet for six hours strait... I noramllytake lots of breaks (housework and such) and swich between projects and swtich between knitting and crochet.... But, I was trying get a project done by Xmass... Yesterday was so fustrating. I couldn't work on anything yesterday. I am hopeing to feel good enough to do some work today.. Though not much work today..

• 3 weeks later...

I had tennis elbow for a long time.. went to a physical therapist for a spell, and finally started taking msm (found at your health food store) on the suggestion of a trainer. It worked for me. Might be worth a try.

Archived