How to keep the cat out of your yarn

I found this tip on cleanhomejournal.com:

"When I'm knitting, I put my ball of yarn inside a Ziploc® Easy Zipper Storage Bag, cut a small slash in the plastic, and thread the yarn through. It never tangles up and the cat can't get it!"

Meowy Christmas and Happy Mew Year from CrochetKitty! animal0083.gif

One of my cats (Buddy) is always nipping at the yarn as I am using it. I have found myelf holding many an end of wet, soggy yarn.:( I wind up with more ends to weave in then I had planned. :eek I will try the zip lock bag trick.

I have a method I use but it doesn't look good to others. I have a tall kitchen trash can (never used and NOT taller than the sofa) that I line with a white trash bag. I put a piece of fabric softner in next. Then I put my ball of yarn and pull a thread and work from it with the trash can sitting right next to me.

At night I "dump" my entire project into the "trash" and put the lid on it. No one bothers my project ever. I hide this trash can at the end of the sofa which is also where I sit so truthfully no one really ever sees it either. Since people don't normally keep a kitchen trash can in their living room it could seem weird I suppose. Anyway this is what I do and it works...the yarn stays clean, it doesn't roll around ever and no pets bother it. :flake

Over Thanksgiving when everything was on sale, I got a Wheeled Tote at Jo-Ann's. A lot like this one on made for crochet/knitting:

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=89302&PRODID=10358

They had choice of pink or black. I got pink. :)

It has tons of pockets and enough room to keep a project or two that you're working on in it.

Before that, I used different tote bags or other bags.

Of course I don't have any pets. Just a two year old little girl. :lol

Jody, cool idea! I keep my stuff in a big tote bag and hang it when I'm not working on it. So far, so good!

My main pet problem is the 'flossers' - the cats want to sit in my lap as I work, and then I realize the yarn is going in one side of their mouth and coming out the other! Just gently going through! So as I work, I swat and say, "No flossing! No flossing!" LOL

Oh my goodness!! The flossers just cracked me up!! How funny. I have the same problem about the lap lovers though. They do act like they are hurt by my constant busyness and lack of lap space.

Jody, cool idea! I keep my stuff in a big tote bag and hang it when I'm not working on it. So far, so good!

My main pet problem is the 'flossers' - the cats want to sit in my lap as I work, and then I realize the yarn is going in one side of their mouth and coming out the other! Just gently going through! So as I work, I swat and say, "No flossing! No flossing!" LOL

I don't have pets in the house, so my main problem is skeins rolling over the floor. ( don't like to do that though, as there is plenty of hair for it to pick up with five long haired females in the house. :))

I have a tube with an end that opens and latches shut. It has a hole though the top to feed the yarn through. Then your yarn stays in there and unwinds as you pull. Actually, I don't really use it much because I move around all the time, dentist, political meetings and plenty of other places. Hm, maybe I should put that up for trade, with yarn in it of course....

Amber

Archived