Baby blanket crochet-along

kagome4

I started my blanket yesterday evening. I'm using Jamie pompadour in white and pink, so I made my foundation chain 120 stitches long to compensate. Last night I got 10 rows done, but I still have quite a ways to go. Luckily this pattern goes so fast! ;) I hope to have this done within the next day or two, as I have 13 blankets to drop off for Porject Linus, and I'd love to add another from me. Has anyone else started yet besides vigilant20? What colors are you using? Patty

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about getting started on mine today. We have some old friends that just sent us a baby announcement. I was thinking about using Woolese, but I'm not sure it would be thick enough.

I was also thinking about doing it in off-white and royal blue, but they have a girl. The colors, however, are the school colors of the college where we met. What do you think about the colors and the yarn weight?

Jen, I think the colors sound great (as someone who used to be a little girl and whose favorite color is blue :D), and perfect for the couple. Woolease will be nice and thick and warm! I used Caron One pounder the one other time I used this pattern, in rose and white, and it was nice and thick. I wondered if it was too thick, and that's why i thought this time I'd use a baby yarn. Either weight, it'll be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it! Patty

I started on mine a few weeks ago, before this thread had started, lol! But I had to put it aside to finish some other projects, which are still not done, almost though! I should be able to work on the blanket in the next few days and have it done in a few weeks, maybe sooner.

I'm using Bernat Softee Baby in two blue colors for a new baby due in May. Also made it larger than the pattern calls for, so hopefully I got enough yarn. It's a very quick and nice stitch, I like the way it's turning out! Seems that everyone is using a different yarn and different colors, that's awesome, can't wait to see the end results!! :hook

I am using Bernat Baby Coordinates (that's the only name I could find on the label). It is 'sports weight' so I am using it double. The label says it is machine washable and dryable (75% Acrylic 22% acetate, 2% Nylon. The yarn is sort of krinkly and has a sheen to it. It is nice and thick, but not really that soft.

Do you usually wash something like this before giving it? Not sure I really want to do that???

Joan

What kind of yarn is everyone else using? I haven't started yet but I was hoping I could use Homespun? Or would that be too weird or something I don't know. Anyway, I think I'll start sometime this evening or tomorrow early, if I can use Homespun, if not I'm probably going to have to wait till I can get up to Michael's or JoAnn's.

<3

Well, I finished my baby blanket last night, and it came out smaller than I had intended. Because I was using Jamie pompadour in pink and white, I made my foundation chain 121. But the finished product still turned out at only 22 inches square. That's 4 inches smaller than Project Linus usually takes, but it's preemie-sized, so I'm going to go ahead and donate it with the other ones anyway. I love the way the pink and white blended. Take a look:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/DesertCrocheter/Blankets/pinkblanket.jpg

Can't wait to see everyone elses! Patty

78961969_af4142c6cd.jpg

I ended up using two skeins of Red Heart that I already had in the house. It's a little stiff, but I think once I was it that it will soften up. I'm going to send it to some friends of ours who just had a baby. This was a fun pattern, and I might try it again in another yarn combination. :hook

Ohhhh...I'm so excited...:dance I picked my yarn and did the first three rows last night and I am loving the yarn mix and the pattern both!

I decided to use the Jiffy I had originally picked but to use only one strand of it and mix it with some Astra yarn that is very complimentary to the Jiffy. The feel is extra soft and the look is awesome in my opinion. Now I just hope my friend who I'm making it for like it! :think

Well, I finished my baby blanket last night, and it came out smaller than I had intended. Because I was using Jamie pompadour in pink and white, I made my foundation chain 121. But the finished product still turned out at only 22 inches square. That's 4 inches smaller than Project Linus usually takes, but it's preemie-sized, so I'm going to go ahead and donate it with the other ones anyway. I love the way the pink and white blended. Take a look:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/DesertCrocheter/Blankets/pinkblanket.jpg

Can't wait to see everyone elses! Patty

That is so pretty! I want in. I am just starting to crochet, but I'm a quick learner, and I think I can manage this. My friend is just pregnant, so I'm making this one out of Red Heart Yellow to practice on, and then I will let her pick out what color she wants the "real" gift to be in.

That is so pretty! I want in. I am just starting to crochet, but I'm a quick learner, and I think I can manage this. My friend is just pregnant, so I'm making this one out of Red Heart Yellow to practice on, and then I will let her pick out what color she wants the "real" gift to be in.

I am not in this crochet along but I have to reply to this.... DO NOT GIVE UP!!! My first completed baby blanket came 4 years after I put a hook in my hand for the first time! It took me nearly 2 months crocheting everyday to get it done. ( the next one took about 2 1/2 days) I must have started 6 blankets and never finished them. And by the way. the red heart will be fine for her, it is very soft after it is washed!

I haven't even started mine! :ohdear I'm still working on a Christmas gift. I'm knitting a scarf. I've found (once again) that knitting goes WAY slower than crochet. I'm sticking to that from now on. I'm using Lionbrand, and I find it hard to crochet with it. :help I'm in trouble!!

What kind of yarn is everyone else using? I haven't started yet but I was hoping I could use Homespun? Or would that be too weird or something I don't know. Anyway, I think I'll start sometime this evening or tomorrow early, if I can use Homespun, if not I'm probably going to have to wait till I can get up to Michael's or JoAnn's.

<3

I have used Homespun for this, just used an L hook and one strand.

I'm so excited! I took what I had done (which isn't much) to work today to show the mommy-to-be and she loved it!! It was such a great moment.

Special notes follow:

Deneen,

I absolutely love this pattern!! I'm only three rows in and I already know this is going into my "special" collection. Thanks for sharing it!!

Kagome4,

I have done that so many times! :rofl Every time I swear I will just stick with crochet because it seems so much faster and easier and then I find myself knitting something again a few months later and grumbling!!

Also thank you for starting this! I love this CAL!

I just found out about this CAL from Coralie. I am excited my pattern is being used. This is a super easy, works up fast blanket and has been used for lapghans, etc.

I can't wait to see all the pictures!

Thank you for designing the pattern. I'm really liking that you can actually see the pattern quickly and that is very encouraging!

I'm using a K hook, noticed that the pattern says N hook. What's the difference?

I'm starting mine today *determined grin*. I will be using 1 strand worsted and one strand sport, so will probably use a slightly smaller hook. I am using Caron Perfect Match, Baby Rainbow Ombre and RH Sport White. My good friend is expecting in April, so this will be fun and good timing.

I'm in if it's not too late to join. My baby is 3 months old, and I've found that all of the blankets we have are either newborn size (too small) or toddler size (too big). So, I'm looking to make a few "Baby Bear" blankets (just right).

lfierge: a K hook will produce a tighter stitch and therefore a smaller finished product than an N hook.

A K hook will produce a tighter stitch and therefore a smaller finished product than an N hook.

Yes, I'm finding that to be true. Good thing I switched from H to K before I got started, huh?!

I made my foundation chain 91 instead of 61 like the pattern said, to compensate, because once I made 60, I found that would be a great blanket for say, a leg! :lol

Using the 2 strands have bulked it up, too, so it's measuring approx 29" long. It's 8" wide now, so I'm going to round it up to 32" and say I'm 25% done.

Archived