2 recent afghans

Merlot

Cougarafghan2005001.jpg

This is the one I just finished a few days ago in our school colors. I started it too late for the fall sports season, but it'll be great for next year!

scrapafghan2005001.jpg

This is the scrap afghan I had been working on over the summer and finished in the fall. I'm really happy with how it came out.

closeupscrapafghan001.jpg

Here's a close up of the stiches.

I apologize in advance if these pictures are too big. I think I resized them okay on Photobucket.

Cougarafghan2005001.jpg

This is the one I just finished a few days ago in our school colors. I started it too late for the fall sports season, but it'll be great for next year!

scrapafghan2005001.jpg

This is the scrap afghan I had been working on over the summer and finished in the fall. I'm really happy with how it came out.

closeupscrapafghan001.jpg

Here's a close up of the stiches.

I apologize in advance if these pictures are too big. I think I resized them okay on Photobucket.

Your afghans are beautiful!!! did you follow a pattern?? or are these your own?? and were they difficult , or tedious ?? I'd like to try them!! natcat in calif.

OOOH! Love 'em BOTH!

Good work with the scrap one. (I love black with bright colors)

Looks like you used 4 dc alternated between colors and just carried the yarn along the rows, crocheting over it as you went?

That sounds like a future WIP that might take a while to finish as I accumulate a few more different scraps. I hate grany squares, so this is perfect for me.

Thank you. :manyheart

They were both from pamphlets that I have. I'm not sure how much I can say about the patterns, because of copyright things. :2blush

The scrap one is from a Leisure Arts pamphlet called "Scrap Wraps." Like mbcabbie said, it's basically 4 double crochets alternating colors, and carrying the other color along. You work with 2 skeins attached. It's nice and thick, but I had to make it longer than the pattern called for, since we're a fairly tall family and we like them longer. :lol It was a little tricky at the beginning, til I figured out how to keep the 2 skeins from getting tangled up. It's easy since there are no tricky stitches, and changing the colors each row kept it interesting. I think it would be neat just to do maybe black and varying shades of blue.

The striped one is also from a Leisure Arts pamplet - called "Our Best Afghans A to Z." This was the "W" - Winter Warmers. They show it in the book in all one color, and in a rose/green/ecru mix. I wanted something with different textures that would make the colors stand out. The soft white stripe is double crochet, the orange (Red Heart carrot) is fp and bp clusters, and the black is a type of waffle stitch, I guess. That one I did quicker than most afghans. It took me about a month. I think switching up the color and the stitch made it easier.

(Admins/Mods - If I've caused any problems with discussing the pattern, please let me know. I'm still getting a feel for what I can do here. :embar )

Thank you thank you! I have the A-Z booklet and was never impressed witht hat blanket--but in those colors--it's fantastic! Nice job. The scrap blanket is fabulous too.

Be honest--were they really all scraps, or did you buy the yarn with this project in mind?

Nope, they were all scraps. (Well, I bought the black.) I had quite a stash from lots of afghans I'd made before, and the colors went pretty well together, I thought. No pastels, but lots of kind of jewel tones.

As for the scraps, they were all Red Heart Super Savers. (That's generally what I use.) I had some that I only had a little ball left, and more that I had about half a skein or more. Occasionally I'd get close to the end of the row and run out of a color, so I had to frog it and start again with another color. :lol The only "rule" I had was that I didn't do the same color 2 rows in a row. If I were doing it again, I think I'd leave out the brown that I used - it's too close to the black. And I'm not sure about the variegated, esp. that red/white/blue. The white stands out too much.

Edited to add - I made another post to show how I ended up with my scraps:

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18206

Merlot,

Thank You

Is there a certain store that a person can buy the Leisure Arts Pamphlet at??

When I mentioned patterns, I ment, from a book , sorry:)

Carol in Rosamond, Ca.

This is a link to the Leisure Arts site for the "Scrap Wraps" booklet.

http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=75028&search=1

Here's the "A to Z" book:

http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?page=32&rec_num=314&startRec=310&skill=KC

I'm pretty sure I bought both of them at Walmart. I hope that helps. :)

This is a link to the Leisure Arts site for the "Scrap Wraps" booklet.

http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?item_num=75028&search=1

Here's the "A to Z" book:

http://www.leisurearts.com/crafts_needlework/item_detail.asp?page=32&rec_num=314&startRec=310&skill=KC

I'm pretty sure I bought both of them at Walmart. I hope that helps. :)

:cheer Thanks Merlot!!

I appreciate all the help I can get, because it really helps :clap

Carol in Calif.

Merlot :clap

Thank you very much, I appreciate the info. a lot, and when you said you were at Wal Mart a lot, well ??? so are we:c9 ....They have so many nice goodies there, and that's the store where I can find most of the colors of the yarn i need too:day ..

Carol in Rosamond

I was at my Walmart today. (I feel like I could say that every day. I'm always there! :lol ) Anyway, they had the A to Z booklet there. I didn't see the scrap one though.

Hi Patty!!

We just got back from our wal mart, and they didn't have the A to Z book there:( , so I went online, and got some more addresses in lancaster, where we just got back from, & we'll go there most likely on friday.

Carol in Rosamond

Archived