I'm flabbergasted

faithpa76

In the process of unpacking stuff from my grandmother's, I finally braved the old, forever in the family sewing kit she'd had sitting on her drop leaf table for as long as I can remember. I knew my father and I had tucked some "extras" in there we didn't want lost, but I hadn't gone through all the contents.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled out some 24K gold plated crochet hooks! A set of Boye yarn hooks, minus the F - they look used (two are pretty silvery, lol) - but I had never seen such a thing before (or even considered that there might be something like that). Anyone familiar with it? Or have any idea of value? I wouldn't sell them (I'm big on keeping stuff in the family) but I'm very curious.

I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised, considering there are glass sculpted hooks out there, but gold plated hooks - I don't know, it just doesn't seem practical. :lol

Editing to add - this is just neat for me - it looks like her "common" use hooks are the same as mine - I'm most likely to grab an I or J hook for an ungauged projects. Just thought that was neat ...

That IS neat. I've never seen a gold-plated hook either but I did see a sterling silver hook in an antique shop once. There were no markings on it to tell size, only the .96 SS mark. Looked to be about a C or D size. Owner of the shop said she thought it came from England.

And how cool is it that you and her perferred the same size hook! Definately one of those finds that makes the day special. Thanks for sharing your story.

I have a 24k plated gold hook that I got from my bf's gram when she passed last winter...

Her's was something she'd gotten from a mail order promo, from "the Crochet Club" or something like that, I don't remember exactly - but in some of the other books I got from her, there was a little pull out flyer advertisinf the exact same hook, LOL.

This hook is just some off brand, not a Boye, and I've never actually used it. Come to think of it, if it was a Boye, I'd probably use it a lot more.

Very neat find! :hook

How absolutely precious! What a treasure. I wonder what became of my grandmothers' hooks and stuff. Sigh. I fear they were just thrown out in the trash. I hope one of the aunts took them and love them. I think I will ask around now that you have made me wonder.

Imagine my surprise when I pulled out some 24K gold plated crochet hooks! A set of Boye yarn hooks, minus the F - they look used (two are pretty silvery, lol) - but I had never seen such a thing before (or even considered that there might be something like that). Anyone familiar with it? Or have any idea of value? I wouldn't sell them (I'm big on keeping stuff in the family) but I'm very curious.

Faith,

Congratulations :cheer on your treasure find!

If your Boye Hooks are gold plated they were made and sold in the 1970's. Here is the wording for an ad Boye did for the hooks.

'23k Gold Plated sizes D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K. Perfect gift pack. Adds the golden touch to all crochet work.'

If the gold plated ones are unmarked they are probably from a promotion done by Oxmoor House in the 1980's.

I couldn't tell from you posting if the missing F hook is part of the gold plated ones or from the typical yarn hooks. If you will let me know and give me the markings on the flat, I might can come up with a replacement so you will have a complete set.:)

I think it's great that you have your grandmother's hooks. They are indeed a great treasure.

Emily

Her's was something she'd gotten from a mail order promo, from "the Crochet Club" or something like that, I don't remember exactly - but in some of the other books I got from her, there was a little pull out flyer advertisinf the exact same hook, LOL.

Natalie,

If you run across this advertisement again, I would love :c9 to have a copy and to know the date of the book the advertisement is from to add to my crochet hook book research. I would gladly pay for copying costs and postage.

Faith,

Congratulations :cheer on your treasure find!

If your Boye Hooks are gold plated they were made and sold in the 1970's. Here is the wording for an ad Boye did for the hooks.

'23k Gold Plated sizes D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K. Perfect gift pack. Adds the golden touch to all crochet work.'

If the gold plated ones are unmarked they are probably from a promotion done by Oxmoor House in the 1980's.

I couldn't tell from you posting if the missing F hook is part of the gold plated ones or from the typical yarn hooks. If you will let me know and give me the markings on the flat, I might can come up with a replacement so you will have a complete set.:)

I think it's great that you have your grandmother's hooks. They are indeed a great treasure.

Emily

What do you mean by marked/unmarked? I don't know what "flat" is either - I don't speak the lingo. :P

The hooks themselves are marked like regular hooks; the plastic case that they are in is marked with the letter names (D-K), with 23K gold plated on the bottom - the cardboard "wrap" says item 6278. It's the full original (gold plated) set, minus the F. Which is probably actually somewhere in amongst her things but they were such a disaster (I'd find pieces from one project scattered in bags throughout the house) that finding it is unlikely, lol.

I should take a picture, lol.

Thanks for your help! I was hoping someone would know something about them! :)

What a find! You are certainly lucky to find gold plated hooks. Now I'm wondering what happened to all my gram's stuff when she passed 7 years ago. I'll have to get in touch with my cousins. Knowing them, it's probably all in a garbage dump somewhere.:eek

Treasure those hooks forever!

Linda:cheer

What do you mean by marked/unmarked? I don't know what "flat" is either - I don't speak the lingo. :P

The "flat" is the finger rest or that flat part of the hook that you hold. The markings are what is on that part of the hook, for instance if they are Boye hooks and on the flat (finger rest) you see that the Boye is in quotes ... 'Boye' ... that hook is older that one that has the Boye without the quotes.

The markings help in dating certain hooks.

I checked and in the broken set of gold plated Boye's I only have a "G" and and "I" left no "F". If I run across one I will let you know.

The "flat" is the finger rest or that flat part of the hook that you hold. The markings are what is on that part of the hook, for instance if they are Boye hooks and on the flat (finger rest) you see that the Boye is in quotes ... 'Boye' ... that hook is older that one that has the Boye without the quotes.

The markings help in dating certain hooks.

I checked and in the broken set of gold plated Boye's I only have a "G" and and "I" left no "F". If I run across one I will let you know.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Thanks for all the info! :hug

Archived