I'm actually doing it!!

cristin~FL

I'm making my very first doily!!!

My Mom will be so proud!! It's a gift for her.

I found my red thread (I posted about it earlier) at joanns.com. I love this stuff!! It's Opera brand size 20 with a size 8 SB hook. You guys, I could work with this forever! I was absolutely terrified of thread :eek But after the Blue Squares Too project (I learned a lot about my tension and GAUGE!!!), I feel way more comfortable working in the round. Now my daugter (Lilo~FL who just signed up recently after seeing all the lovely squares I got from my Blue Squares Too friends! :D) wants to start doilies as well. :manyheart

I'll post pics when I finish this one......cross your fingers, say some prayers......I'll need it all in order to finish this for Christmas!

I just wanted to say :ty to all of you for the love and support that is here for me.

I probably wouldn't have stuck with crochet this long had it not been for C'ville!!

I just posted a similar thing! I, too, have gotten hooked on thread! Before it was so frustrating and I would get so upset, but now I'm loving it... A size #4 hook is about the smallest I think I can go. I have a 9 and FORGET ABOUT IT! I can't seen the hook, let alone the stitches!!! Can't wait to see your doily!!!

you all can just ignore this thread, but I'm using it to track my progress on this doily.

After having to :2frog almost an ENTIRE round (rnd 6) becaue I missed a ch2 ; I'm now on the 10th row!! yippee! I want to finish this one early so Mom can use it on Christmas. :)

I'm almost finished with my first Angel!!!!!! I should have it finished by tomorrow and then of course I'll have to stiffen it... I made several bookmarks and snowflakes and stiffened them yesterday. I hope they are dry when I get home so that I can take pics! (I don't think bookmarks are normally stiffened(???) but I didn't like them all floppy...)

Cristin, cannot wait to see your doily!!! I have decided to tackle a tablecloth after the first of the year!!!!

you go, Donna!! That's GREAT! I'm not so sure I could try a tablecloth, not right now anyway....I have to put tape on my fingertip just to finish this one!! Who knows though....I had a huge fear of granny squares for a long time too!! And now I'm doing them in my sleep, so you never know.......... :)

I seriously think it's this thread (Opera) that is making this so easy for me.....I like the stiffness (if that's a word??) of it -- and it doesn't split!

I am looking forward to seeing all the work you new threadies are doing.:lurk

Isn't it fun? :yay

I can see snowflakes, angels and table toppers in your future. :flake:angel Can there also be one of those painted doilies there also?

Keep up the good work and remember thread is just smaller yarn.:lol

So Glad to see you dipping your toes in the water. :hook I am Looking forward to seeing your first piece, Note I say first piece, as it is addictive. :devil Of course I am a little bit on the predjudiced side. I have been a threadie for as long as I have crocheted and we don't really want to talk about how long that has been. :haha Welcome to a whole new world. :wink

Yay! Welcome to the world of thread! :clap It is indeed very addictive! Have you already lined up your next 10 thread projects? I've gotten to where the switching back and forth between thread and yarn does not even phase me.....the two projects I worked on last night were a size 20 thread purse and a Q hook afghan....talk about going from one extreme to the other!! :lol I basically work on each for 30 mins to an hour and then switch back and forth! Gives my eyes and fingers a rest.

Yes, I do need a rest in between for my eyes and my left hand! It cramps up from holding just thread instead of fat yarn...lol! But I have a deadline on this one....so I keep pushing on and on.

I'm still on round 10....not because I didn't do any last night, but because I had to :2frog almost the ENTIRE round because I ADDED a ch2 this time (last time I :2frog it was that I skipped a ch2!)

The funny thing is, it's all trebles and chains...so when I saw the pattern I thought it would go fast because it gets big fast -- HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I forgot that it's a ROUND so the rounds get bigger faster too. Which means more stitches.. Silly me. Round 10 is much larger than round 9!!! At least it feels that way..lol But when you see it, hopefully you'll get why I HAD to do it -- it honestly beckoned me -- and in red. :D

Future projects?? I can't think of that now. I'm freaking out about Christmas gifts now. I shaved my list down AGAIN last night. I do keep wanting to make book marks, but most of my friends don't read that much. I made them all beaded bookmarks last year and they hung them up on their office cubicle walls!! lol They crack me up!

yes, actually.

I'm on the 14th round right now. :yay

I looked all the way through it and found about 6 mistakes. They're all minor, but one of them may be a little tricky to "cover" -- we'll see.

Archived