messy tangled yarn

I'm making a pattern that calls for one skein of yarn, but crocheting with two threads at the same time. I ended up with a huge tangled mess of twisted, knotted yarn. I spent a couple of hours untangling (sorry for being a weakling, but I actually cried). My guy:manyheart came up with this little invention. I'm very new to crochet, so maybe this isn't something new to you. But I LOVE it (and it's cheap)! Drill two holes in a block of wood. Insert two wooden dowels. Impale your skeins on each dowel, and guess what? They won't tangle up!!!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/MARCI_LEE/dowel002.jpg

What a great idea! I'm currently using three skeins on a project. Unfortunately, because I have to switch colors back and forth, I don't know if this little doohickey would work in this case. It would be worth a shot though,,,:scrachin

Thanks!

GREAT Idea! :idea What a GREAT guy you have there! How sweet!

Something that has worked for me in the past is to put each skein or ball in a coffee can, cut a hole in the plastic lid and pull the yarn through that. You have to make sure the whole is smooth so you don't snag the yarn. It is great for projects that require multiple skeins because you can arrange the cans on the floor in the order you need the yarn to be in.

my added :2c

What a great idea! I'm currently using three skeins on a project. Unfortunately, because I have to switch colors back and forth, I don't know if this little doohickey would work in this case. It would be worth a shot though,,,:scrachin

Thanks!

You have no idea how badly I giggle when I see/hear the word DOOHICKEY! It's so funny to hear the word, but even funnier to see it spelled out! Thanks for making me giggle! :lol

And I agree about the doohicky(:lol ). I tend to shy away from double-stranded projects for the simple fact that I HATE tangles! If I wasn't so mechanically challenged, I'd try to rig one up myself!

The first time I bought a nice hank of VERY expensive wool, it tangled up on me really bad b/c I didnt know how to unravel it correctly. I cried too :blush

Come to think of it, I still dont know how to get the yarn outta those hanks properly...they get all messed up :(

~Chicki

Something that has worked for me in the past is to put each skein or ball in a coffee can, cut a hole in the plastic lid and pull the yarn through that. You have to make sure the whole is smooth so you don't snag the yarn.

I've done that too, but with the big yogurt containers. In my case, this method also keeps dog and cat hair out of my yarn as well! Yesterday, I saw at a local craft store a container made just for this purpose, but I think they were selling it for $7-8! I'm glad to see that other people are using their ingenuity to get around rip-offs like that!

Archived