2024 What's On Your Hook? Share your WIPs.

Posted (edited)

Just working on more projects to give away that are quick & simple...what I like best it uses small amounts of yarn & scraps...

20240421_135958.jpg

20240421_184515.jpg

20240420_184235.jpg

20240420_184223.jpg

Edited by Jayashiangel
  • Like 6

OMGoodness- so cute!

Sparkly purple and taupe blanket and Glenda's Spring blanket completed and packaged for Boggy Creek Camp in FL.

Making some granny squares, on and off, that I'll try Juan"s join technique on. (in Reference)  Will go to Boggy Creek when finished.  Pup still wants to snatch crochet items and yarn.  Wants me to pay attention to her.  Enjoying the outdoor hours when the temps aren't too hot or not overly humid. 😁

DH planted 88 sunflowers along fence line for me.  Zucchini and squash seeds in the garden.  Soon cucumbers and Crimson watermelon seeds will be planted next.  Had to restart our tomato plants ... looking good.  Have a great week.

• Like 1

@NCcountrygal

DH planted 88 sunflowers along fence line for me.  Zucchini and squash seeds in the garden.  Soon cucumbers and Crimson watermelon seeds will be planted next.  Had to restart our tomato plants ... looking good.  Have a great week.

I could listen to & read about others' gardening experiences even more than crocheting & knitting.  From the 88 sunflowers it sounds as if you have a good sized property.  

What do you mean that you had to restart tomato plants.  What varieties?  Our weather is too cool & rainy to do much outdoors though my scallions (seeds), radishes & peas, poppies & sweetpeas are in.  Radishes popping thru.  7 tomatoes, cucs & cocozelle zucs still in the house.  Oh, well...

Write back and tell me more about your garden.

Re what's on my hook?  Nothing.  I have recently blocked a nice shawl (the kind that you don't have to clutch; it stays on your shouldrs) which I started 5 years ago then put aside for a good long time.  I hope to photograph it soon.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Horsy said:

What do you mean that you had to restart tomato plants.  What varieties? 

I used a different seed starting soil.  Germination was poor and because it dried out fast the plants didn't do well.  I went back to the Jiffy pods.  A beef tomato variety, sungold cherry tomato, and amish paste. (spineless zucchini, straightneck yellow squash, burpless cukes)

The green pepper plants survived the other soil starter and are hardening off outdoors before going in the garden.  Put Zinnias in a raised bed in the back yard with trellis to keep the pup out.  Want to grow fall leeks , broccoli.  Chijimisai and swiss chard late summer/early fall.

Looking forward to seeing your shawl.  🙂

Edited by NCcountrygal
add info

15 hours ago, Horsy said:

@NCcountrygal

I could listen to & read about others' gardening experiences even more than crocheting & knitting.  From the 88 sunflowers it sounds as if you have a good sized property.  

What do you mean that you had to restart tomato plants.  What varieties?  Our weather is too cool & rainy to do much outdoors though my scallions (seeds), radishes & peas, poppies & sweetpeas are in.  Radishes popping thru.  7 tomatoes, cucs & cocozelle zucs still in the house.  Oh, well...

Write back and tell me more about your garden.

Re what's on my hook?  Nothing.  I have recently blocked a nice shawl (the kind that you don't have to clutch; it stays on your shouldrs) which I started 5 years ago then put aside for a good long time.  I hope to photograph it soon.  

Horsy, you are cold in your part of the country also?  Nova Scotia has been dreadful weather wise for planting.  I am finally going to get all my seed crops in today.  Finally getting warm enough to do some planting but the nights are still really cool.  I don't remember a May being this cold, how about you?

Posted (edited)

Quick question need a little tip/ trick from you guys...recently attempted this butterfly...The instructions say to use yarn to make the antennas and tie a knot in the each end and just slip it through the chain loop.... And you're done expect Mine looked wonderful except for the part where as soon as you pick it up they flip/ bend over limp.. I would like to use these little butterflies to make key chains...and have them  look a little bit better....

What could I use to keep them up.... Is there a yarn stiffner that you could use....

Here's two different versions I did...

2nd one using a pipe cleaner Not sure.I really like that option either.... Looks I don't know....:think

20240521_125226.jpg

20240521_111243.jpg

Edited by Jayashiangel

28 minutes ago, Jayashiangel said:

Quick question need a little tip/ trick from you guys...recently attempted this butterfly...The instructions say to use yarn to make the antennas and tie a knot in the each end and just slip it through the chain loop.... And you're done expect Mine looked wonderful except for the part where as soon as you pick it up they flip/ bend over limp.. I would like to use these little butterflies to make key chains...and have them  look a little bit better....

What could I use to keep them up.... Is there a yarn stiffner that you could use....

Here's two different versions I did...

2nd one using a pipe cleaner Not sure.I really like that option either.... Looks I don't know....:think

20240521_125226.jpg

20240521_111243.jpg

Those are really cute, I kind of like the pipe cleaner look. 

If you plan on using these for key chains I don't think a stiffener will hold up against having it tussled around a purse.  The pipe cleaner would be easier to straighten back out.  Elmer's glue might work.

Pipe cleaner is what I had on the ones on the fridge.  Bought ones and self made.  Usually curled up the antennas in the front instead of straight.  Agree with Tina stiffener won't stay/keep stiff as a key chain.  Would work as a fridgie magnet.

Here's a keychain butterfly with crochet antenna.  That would probably work using slip stitch or chain to stiffen them.

https://www.diycraftsy.com/crochet-butterfly/

15. Easy Crochet Keychain Butterfly Pattern

Posted (edited)

Here's another suggestion: wire for the antennae. I also use fabric stiffener but only on my thread butterflies. You can use just thread for the antennae if you want. If you don't have stiffener, use Elmer's glue mixed: 1/3 water, 2/3 Elmer's glue, then dry completely. Here's one of several I made years ago. I didn't put antennae on them and was hoping you could see how stiff they are as the wing tips are pulled forward. 

20240521_195302.jpg

Edited by ReniC

Posted (edited)

@Lacycrochet:

Horsy, you are cold in your part of the country also?  Nova Scotia has been dreadful weather wise for planting.  I am finally going to get all my seed crops in today.  Finally getting warm enough to do some planting but the nights are still really cool.  I don't remember a May being this cold, how about you?

You are correct - it has never been this cold and rainy in May.  May is usually so lovely and everyone who gardens is outside seeding & planting.  However, at least the poppies & peas are up. My "Seven-Top" turnip leaf seeds are in.  

So, did you get all your seeds in at last?  Today is the first sunny, nonrainy day over here in 2 weeks.  I put cucs and zucs outdoors to harden up, under 5 gallon water containers with the bottom cut out.  

So, any gardening report from you or anyone here on crochetville is most welcome. 

Edited by Horsy

Posted (edited)

Currently have a few water bottle cozies been whipped up to give away..

And I have been working on understanding the pattern for making googley eye mana rays. I am one of those people that need things written out differently to be able to do patterns details steps...but I think I got it right this time...

20240604_165617.jpg

Edited by Jayashiangel
  • Like 3

On 6/4/2024 at 4:58 PM, Jayashiangel said:

Currently have a few water bottle cozies been whipped up to give away..

And I have been working on understanding the pattern for making googley eye mana rays. I am one of those people that need things written out differently to be able to do patterns details steps...but I think I got it right this time...

That's a cute idea!

Posted (edited)

Behind on this CAL..  Haven't sewn any sea critters on the squares, yet.  2 months behind on making the latest month sea critter.

Here it is June 6th already.

https://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2024/06/crochet-pufferfish-under-the-sea-cal-square-6.html

Crocheting the back panel of my top.  Just a few rows before I start the front side.

addendum ripping back to row 17 from row 73.  I didn't read the instructions correctly.

Edited by NCcountrygal
addendum

8 hours ago, NCcountrygal said:

Behind on this CAL..  Haven't sewn any sea critters on the squares, yet.  2 months behind on making the latest month sea critter.

Here it is June 6th already.

https://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2024/06/crochet-pufferfish-under-the-sea-cal-square-6.html

Crocheting the back panel of my top.  Just a few rows before I start the front side.

addendum ripping back to row 17 from row 73.  I didn't read the instructions correctly.

That sucks having to rip out...that is why I have issues @ times with patterns, I read it one way & see later I misread...

Good luck fixing & remember to add a note in that section in case u plan to make another for future reference...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jayashiangel said:

That sucks having to rip out...that is why I have issues @ times with patterns, I read it one way & see later I misread...

Good luck fixing & remember to add a note in that section in case u plan to make another for future reference...

Even worse is AFTER I ripped it back and started doing it differently I realized I was doing it correctly the first time!  Just one of those days. 🤪

Posted (edited)

Repurposed yarn from a top I never really liked.  The yarn is nice. Lion Brand ?mercerized cotton yarn.  Can’t remember the name. Started on first arm sleeve closure on the yoke. 
FYI this is the cotton cami bagoday recommended for under the dress

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L0LO9YG/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_aGHWEbSVCN3YC 

1E5D1920-919E-4CA5-A96E-C7C3B848F033.jpeg

Edited by NCcountrygal
Add info
  • Like 1