What kind of crochet blankets do you remember having or making in/from the 50s, 60s, and/or 70s, other than grannies?

Kayla Jackson

Question

I’m going to make a crochet blanket for my couch and I have a Midcentury theme with yellows, oranges, browns, and olive green in my living room. I have the yarn (six skeins of bernat blanket ombré in orange crush ombré, plus 2 blanket skeins each in mustard and rust which I already had on hand), just looking for an idea. Google seems to come up with a lot of ripples/chevrons, but not having been alive during this period, I thought I would ask what you guys remember.

Patterns and/ or pictures appreciated (but no grannies, as big yarn makes giant holes, and I want something useable for more than just decoration lol).

10 answers to this question

I could never master that blanket but remember one called the Ripple Afghan, my daughter found one at a church fall sale, I use it still, its like brand new, mine are colors of orange olive green and golden rod

Ripples were big too as mentioned, but you might look into 'mile a minute' patterns; these are made in strips lengthwise and either sewn together or 'joined as you go'; that style was popular even before 'mid last century', as well as now.  Here is a link to patterns of this sort on Ravelry (there are holey ones and solid ones; really, if you are using a granny square or similar moderately lacey patterned throw to cover you on a couch and are fully clothed, you wouldn't notice a draft from the holes.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&pc=blanket&query=mile a minute&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs&page=1

edit, I meant to select 'free' patterns, but you can click that button if you want (see selection options on the left side of the page)

Edited by Granny Square

Blankets made of squares was "all the rage" back then. I've seen many with solid squares with no holes (some call them motifs). I have books on just squares and ripples. Leisure Arts, Annie's Attic, American School of Needlework (1970's - 80's). Woman's Day Prize Winning Granny Squares (1990). If you don't like sewing squares, join-as-you-go patterns are easy.

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

Lacycrochet, that is lovely; FYI to the OP, that one is made in solid black panels using 'Tunisian stitch' (probably TSS, Tunisian Simple Stitch), and then cross-stitch embroidered afterward. 

I think that the above way (embroidering) is probably the cleanest way to do this (heritage afghan) design, but there'd be a lot of ends to weave, but tapestry or the Navajo style for example wouldn't be much better nor would changing color and 'snipping' the ends of each row would be even more ends.  If the floral design was only 1 color, maybe 2, it might be manageable.

Edit, coming back and re-reading this, when I said snipping the ends I was thinking in terms of making fringe, which can be multi colored of course ideally should be all uniform in # of strands in each row end, I didn't analyze this pattern but I think that is unlikely here.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Lacycrochet, that is lovely; FYI to the OP, that one is made in solid black panels using 'Tunisian stitch' (probably TSS, Tunisian Simple Stitch), and then cross-stitch embroidered afterward. 

I think that the above way (embroidering) is probably the cleanest way to do this (heritage afghan) design, but there'd be a lot of ends to weave, but tapestry or the Navajo style for example wouldn't be much better nor would changing color and 'snipping' the ends of each row would be even more ends.  If the floral design was only 1 color, maybe 2, it might be manageable.

You are right, it is tunisian, I didn't even notice that.  I am not sure if this is exactly like my grandma's but it sure looks like it.  The embroidery sounds about right, she embroidered everything. The navajo is really nice, I love navajo.

Edited by Lacycrochet

There is also this one but it is a paid pattern off etsy.  I don't think this is tunisian crochet.  It is beautiful.  A bit finicky to make by the looks of it, don't know what your comfort level is.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/57357961/crochet-victorian-afghan-pattern-pdf?epik=dj0yJnU9NUh4eGxxMG0xbk1qNjNlOFdjTGxpXzR6eVBMdVZLR3EmcD0wJm49eTEwekJNcXM2NERNMVdBc0ZNdEYtdyZ0PUFBQUFBR1VIU2tn

Edited by Lacycrochet

Re: Tunisian and embroidering on it:  I worked a (modern) pattern for a trivet/potholder that called for a TSS base and a big embroidered rose, I thought the aspect ratio should be close enough for SC so I cheated, not that I can't do TSS but I thought it would be quicker (I made a plain back, which I think wasn't called for on the TSS version, so it was plenty thick enough).  The rose was somewhat distorted, I probably wouldn't sub SC for TSS again, just in case the OP was thinking about it.  

Edit - Oh wait, my project was the other way around actually, it was designed for SC and I used TSS (this was 11 years ago, I'd forgotten the details).  But bottom line is the same, it might be distorted if you don't use the base stitch the pattern was designed for.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

In the '70s, when I was a girl/teen, we also made bedspreads, filet or made out of motifs (not necessarily grannies). Most were white/cream thread, or light wool, but there were also a few chunkier ones that were proposed by popular magazines for the "new" crowd. I remember trying a square for a blanket, but I didn't like the big holes, so I turned into a shawl (very awkward one). Another one, after I made about 6 squares I decided it would be too chunky and warm for our climate, so I kept them in a bag for felting and turning into a bag.  50 years later, it's still looking at me. I promised myself I'll do it before this Christmas! 

• Like 1