Neckline on a poncho

les jackbs

Question

my wife made a poncho for our granddaughter when she was younger.  Our granddaughter would like her to add on to the length, which is no problem.

the problem is the head hole has become to small.  Any ideas on how to resolve that problem?  Our really loves the poncho.

thanks,

10 answers to this question

I agree with NCcountrygal, a new poncho might be in order, grandaughter might have fun picking out the pattern and yarn.  Also agree that Dot Matthews has some nice poncho patterns, I'm wearing one right now that I made elbow-length, it keeps my shoulders warm in the winter but does not get in the way of working around the house.

The reason we're suggesting to make a new one:  Ponchos are usually made top down, which means the first row made would be the neckline.  Crochet only unravels in 1 direction, and that is from the last stitch made (which would be the bottom hem if it started at the neck).  So if you'd asked about shortening the length, no problem, clip a stitch at the bottom edge, pull the yarn to unravel the stitches very easily until you get the shorter length you want, tie off the yarn and weave in the end.

However ripping back from the start of a crochet piece is something that gives a whole new meaning to 'annoying' (or other words a lady does not repeat!).  It does not 'rip back'.  You have to pick each loop out of each stitch (a stitch has more than 1 loop), one at a time.  I have only resorted to this a couple of times in my 50+ years of crocheting, and for just a few rows.  Each loop you pick back makes a longer and longer yarn end, which takes more and more  time to pull thru a stitch as you go.  I have never bothered to try to save the yarn I'm ripping, I cut it off every so often so there's less end to pull out.

You could lesson the agony a little by cutting the fabric evenly along a row or 2 higher up the neck than you wanted the new neckline to be, so there would be less unravelling.

The only other thing I can think of: if your wife machine sews, the following will make sense-- mark the edge of the new neckline, stabilize the edge at this line with several rows of zigzag or other wide 'over edge' stitch so the new neck edge won't unravel, cut off the excess, and find some pre-made  folded wide seam-binding to sew over the edge.  Or she could make her own binding with fabric her granddaughter picks out.  I would probably hand-sew the binding on because of the thickness/lumpiness of the crochet inside the binding, for me it would probably end up looking neater and I could ensure I was catching all the edges.

Crikey, all of the Dot Matthews patterns I clicked on from NCcountrygal's above link are 'not found'.  Les, this forum has gone thru several software updates over the years and these links getting scrambled has happened before.  I'll report this to Donna, who is the site owner and software guru.

I seem to recall the last time it happened, that if you searched on 'Dot Matthews' in the patterns area you could find them.  There is a search box at the very top right hand side of the page.  Well, that didn't work, sorry, nor did a search by pattern name find anything but the broken link, unless my search-fu is faulty (entirely possible).

Edit, what is weird, I didn't click thru all of Dot's patterns but a few of the links worked, I think they were all or mostly in the baby section.

Edited by Granny Square

Here is a list of free crochet poncho patterns on Ravelry, I did not sort by size.  Maybe one of these will catch your granddaughters' eye?

I chose language = English or universal (charted), you can change the search parameters.  Ravelry's patterns are a database, and may list a pattern in a book or magazine that you will have to find a hard copy of yourself, some are free or for purchase from Ravelry, but you'll have to become a member to download those; yet others will be on the web somewhere.

4 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Crikey, all of the Dot Matthews patterns I clicked on from NCcountrygal's above link are 'not found'.  Les, this forum has gone thru several software updates over the years and these links getting scrambled has happened before.  I'll report this to Donna, who is the site owner and software guru.

I seem to recall the last time it happened, that if you searched on 'Dot Matthews' in the patterns area you could find them.  There is a search box at the very top right hand side of the page.  Well, that didn't work, sorry, nor did a search by pattern name find anything but the broken link, unless my search-fu is faulty (entirely possible).

Edit, what is weird, I didn't click thru all of Dot's patterns but a few of the links worked, I think they were all or mostly in the baby section.

Those links have been broken for a very long time.  If you go to page 4 of that thread Empress Busy Bee was able to find them and graciously posted new links for us.  Hopefully they still work.

• Like 1

I'm wearing one right now that I made elbow-length, it keeps my shoulders warm in the winter but does not get in the way of working around the house.

From my point of view, a shawl which is designed to stay on the shoulders is also a good choice for keeping you warm and not getting in the way when you are moving around and doing things.  I've almost finished such a shawl using this pattern:

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/shockwave-shawl

My house-poncho is quite short (elbow length) basically a wide cylinder with a head-hole and no front opening, that goes from neck to elbows.  The one you linked is lovely, and would be nice for 'going out', but much too long to be practical (for me) around the house, I'm sure I'd be dunking the ends in the soup pot or something.  

• Like 1

I'm sure I'd be dunking the ends in the soup pot or something.  

Ha ha ha!.  You may be right.  By the way,  I am an enthusiastic soup maker, it is my (and my family's) favourite food.  I kid you not.  If you don't want to make a meal with a few different things, why, you just create a hearty soup.   Add a slice of toast and there is your "meal". 

Edited by Horsy