Crochet on The Double aka CrochetKnit

Tried it and liked how it looked, but i absolutely hate the tangle I end up in with the two skeins of yarn going at opposite ends. I spend more time managing my yarn and not stitching and it irritates me. Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.

Kathleen,

I'll see what I can muster up for you. I've recently moved, and damn if I know where I put everything I've unpacked.

Teesachu,

There is a trick to avoid the tangling, but of course I can't remember. I can imagine, and know how fustrating a yarn fight can be.

Necia

My future MIL gave me hooks and books for this and I've made several dishcloths (waaaay faster than the double crochet ones I used to do!) and a baby bib. The trick for managing yarn is to not turn the hook in the same direction each time, but to alternate directions (clockwise, then counterclockwise) - this crosses the yarn the first time, but uncrosses them the second. I usually don't remember to do this, so after a few times, I just twirl my hook around a few times and it all works out.

There's a pattern I think over in Original Patterns for a lovely striped scarf (good for men), that is one of the more original patterns I've seen and it's for the cabled double hooks. I just need an excuse to make it. :)

I also recently bought the 101 Crochet on the Double stitches book that I found at Michaels. :) (love those 40% off coupons!)

I tried to make an afghan with the double ended hooks and I never counted my row and ended up with the side on an angle. I am going to try it again at some point. I just have to remember to count the rows. But then again an afghan is a big project to do as a beginner with these hooks

I am self taught and was un able to get hooks so ended up getting them made. Anyway i show anyone who is interested how to do it and people are amazed how quick it can be. I love double ended crochet and am happy to say we can now buy hooks and the 101 pattern book in Australia. Not that i have yet as most of your Tunisian stitches translate very well to double ended. Give it a try if you have'nt already cause its quick and not as hard as you think.

I started doing this a couple of years ago and have made numerous items. I have made capes, towel/potholder sets, dishcloths, afghans, etc. I have also sold many of the things that I made. Sure helps to replenish the stash supply. If you go to stitchguide.com, they have a crochet on the double section and also a cro-knit section and in it are many more stitch patterns that can be done on the cabled hooks. Enjoy them and good luck with making many more things.

I'm glad I'm not the lone ranger who love Crochet on The Double. I'm too am self taught. I surfed onto a site about a year or so ago, and was immediately intrigued. I'll prolly start working on something after I finish these few projects I started.

Necia

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I love crochet on the double. I am so jealous of the person who posted that she bought her 101 double ended stitch book from Michael's with a 40% off coupon. I bought mine online. I love that book though I don't care for alot of the color combinations that they used. I've only made afghans with crochet on the double. But I know they are patterns out there somewhere for clothes. If only I had the time to do more.

Since I'm new to this and am learning the whole crochet on the double thing, I would love to know where I could find patterns for dishcloths for this!

My future MIL bought me a set of books, one of them is Annie's Attic Crochenit "Special Stiches Dishcloths". I found it really helpful and fun. (and this was back when all I knew how to do was rectangles of single crochet, double crochet or alternate rows of single and double. It really boosted my confidence to try new things in crocheting :) )

Archived