Coaster-Along

flybabytina

With the Holiday season upon us very soon, I have been looking for some small, quick gifts. One thing I thought of was coasters! Make a set in the reciever's favorite colors; match their kitchen; etc. I know we have MANY projects going on right now and i thought maybe a quick few coasters would be a nice change from the afghans, scarves, mittens/gloves, and other Christmas gifts that we put sooo much time and work into....

Share your favorite coaster patterns and/or pattern sites here!

Here are a couple links to get you started:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/coasters.php

http://home.wideopenwest.com/~sag55/cupcozy.html

Tina

This could be fun, and much loved play-back with my sister. Just yesterday she asked me if I needed any coasters.... as she has hords of sets she did in plastic canvas. Hmmm.....

Ooh, I may like to do this. I've been thinking about making coasters with CDs in the middle, a good use for all those stupid free AOL CDs you always get in the mail!

One thing I've always wondered about crocheted coasters... does the work lay flat enough not to make the glass wiggle around? I'd worry that I'd make something that would cause my drink to topple. :eek

Here's some holiday coasters I just made with good ole cotton yarn. My mom bought an Annie's Attic Holiday book and the projects are so much fun!

th_Crochet001.jpg

(click for larger image)

One thing I've always wondered about crocheted coasters... does the work lay flat enough not to make the glass wiggle around? I'd worry that I'd make something that would cause my drink to topple. :eek

I haven't had a problem with wiggling, toppling glasses on crocheted coasters. Just be sure to crochet loosely enough so that the coaster lies flat. And most coasters use the same stitch throughout; so the stitches lie flatter.

Good luck with your coasters, everyone!

Can anyone join this coaster a long?

Yes, I'd also like to know. Perhaps after the holidays, I might join one if it is allowed.

Can we use thread?

Priscilla,

If they do use a yarn pattern, try doing it up using 2-3 strands of size 10. A good way to use up the ends of a ball of thread. Just use a larger hook. Last year, for an exchange, I made a set up using 2 strands (white and variegated) and a size C2(2.75mm) hook adding a couple extra rounds at the end before doing the edging as the coaster will definitely be smaller than a yarn one. You could experiment with different number of strands. I do know that 6 strands does make a nice potholder and using multiple strands, gives you endless color combinations. A bit of warning here. It isn't easy on the hands. :(

Also, I have found that if you have a 12" square pattern for yarn and crochet it in size 10 thread, it makes a cute little coaster.;)

Pam

Guest Crafterlady46
Yes, I'd also like to know. Perhaps after the holidays, I might join one if it is allowed.

Pam

I have some of that sugar and cream crochet cotton. I think it is size 5 or something. It's very thick. I though I might use it for the bottom and the size 10 for the rest. Maybe flowers. So do we just make a coaster and post it here? Im game.

I think I'll join in on this CAL. I will try to make at least one set of coasters for my friends who are coming from England to celebrate Christmas with us. :clap:yay:clap

I won't be able to start making them for another week or two. I will look for a nice pattern to use too. I am thinking about thread. I like the more dainty look.

Ok, as far as I have seen before, there aren't any real "rules" to a crochet-along other than everyone works on the same project. Any thread/yarn is fine, any pattern is good too. Sound good?

I will get started on my coaster sets as soon as I get my DD's Harry Potter scarf and hat done....

Tina

Since I'm working on some coasters as little gifts I'm in on this CAL. Love the button too. I'll have to get that on my blog soon.

I'm working on this coaster using this pattern...

2005_11_21_wreathcoaster1.jpg

I already have 4 done...

(I just have to finish the rest of the ends...they are hiding.)

2005_11_21_wreathcoaster2.jpg

Gina, WOW! Your coasters are really inspiring me to join. I literally am spending all my free time crocheting presents right now, so when/if :P I finish, I may want to try some from that pattern! I bought white, green and red cotton yarn for a poinsettia potholder that I made for a stocking stuffer, and would love to make some of those coasters to go along with it.

I am in on this one too! Love the coasters posted so far. I think I'm going to make these poinsetta coasters. http://www.crochetmemories.com/archive/december2.html

I have wanted to make those since I saw them. I am going to look at other coaster patterns at CPC too because I may want to make more than one set.

Thanks for the button too--I will add it soon to my blog.

Thanks luckygrrl and Jimmie Lu. These seem to work up real quick (even with the color changes) since the pattern is easy to memorize.

Kazily...I really considered doing that poinsettia coaster pattern too but I had green and white cotten so I went with that instead. :)

Archived