Yarn Holders found many now to decide which one.

Got a question.  

My yarn holder broke and I need to purchase a new one.  Problem is, mine is so old, that they do not make it anymore.  I have looked around and found these two.  Now, I basically use it for my PNC cotton cones.  Here are the ones I am thinking of buying, just need to know which one.

Amazon.com: KINEKULLE Adjustable Single Thread Cone Spool Holder Stand for Sewing, Embroidery or Quilting – Comes with 2 Spool Cone Holder spacers. (Black)

Or this one

Amazon.com: Classic Knit Wooden Spinning Yarn & Thread Holder - Each

Edited by Tampa Doll

Before I clicked on your links, I had in mind you were looking for something similar to the item in your second link.  The Kinekule one is only 4.7" across the base and mentions 'sewing, embroidering, and quilting' which sounds like it may be for smaller cones.  I don't have a full kitchen cotton cone handy only a partially used one which is 4" across which leads me to suspect that base might not be big enough for a new cone - but I'm guessing.  If you have a fresh cone on hand you may want to measure to see if it will fit.

• Like 1

I have no experience with them. I guess I thought it was normal to crochet a bit, unspool yarn, crochet a bit, unspool yarn, get up to retrieve said yarn because it rolled across the floor and repeat. Post a photo of your old one if you get a chance.  I am curious as to what it looks like.

• Like 2

This is what I am using now.  The top has a tendency to come off.  DH wants to glue it, but if you glue it, you can not get a cone on it.  The top must swivel.  I had two, but one broke.

Broken Yarn Holder.jpg

I got mine from amazon in 2014. It is a Herrschners product but is not available on amazon now and I couldn't find to on Herrschners either. They called it a hardwood cone holder. 10 x 1.5 x 8.5 inches; 1.65 Pounds

I didn't find one similar on etsy or ebay.

The top, keeps it from getting tangled.  I guess I could, but it holds my yarn steady and helps with the tension.

Yeah, I bought it from Amazon.  I have looked all over.  I guess I will have to make sure this one stays ok.  

Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

What about something like this? This was my first thought when looking into the yarn holders. My daughter went ahead and ordered the yarn holder which I really do like. The paper towel holder is a bit less expensive.

Amazon.com - KASUNTO Paper towel holder (with heavy weighted base)Steel Paper towel holder countertop,Black paper towel holder for Kitchen Countertops, Bars & Dining Tables,Fits Standard & Jumbo Rolls,Matte Black -

• Like 1

Thanks Tat.  I have added to my wish list on Amazon.  Still trying to decide which one I need.  My biggest problem with the old cones the top is closed.  I either let it swing on the holder, or I try and cut a hole in the top.  Thank you for all you help.  I will probably go with the yarn holder.

• Like 1

• Tampa Doll changed the title to Yarn Holders found many now to decide which one.
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, Tampa Doll said:

Got a question.  

My yarn holder broke and I need to purchase a new one.  Problem is, mine is so old, that they do not make it anymore.  I have looked around and found these two.  Now, I basically use it for my PNC cotton cones.  Here are the ones I am thinking of buying, just need to know which one.

Amazon.com: KINEKULLE Adjustable Single Thread Cone Spool Holder Stand for Sewing, Embroidery or Quilting – Comes with 2 Spool Cone Holder spacers. (Black)

Or this one

Amazon.com: Classic Knit Wooden Spinning Yarn & Thread Holder - Each

I have one similar to your second one, and I wasn't very happy with it. I seldom use it! I have yet to try any others. I use a wooden yarn bowl from time to time.