Minions

Ellie 13

Question

I was asked if I could make a minion (yellow guy in coveralls). I can create my own design, but if it's copyrighted material, can I do it :think ? Has anyone made a pattern yet :think ? I don't want to cause trouble.

Ellie 13

10 answers to this question

That's an interesting refresher on copyright issues. She does say that you can create your own design and/or make it for your own use, just not sell it.

I find it a little odd that ravelry allows these patterns to be posted.

Edited by greyhoundgrandma

Diana, if I make my own design, can I sell the item and not the pattern (or vise/versa) :think ? I really want to make one, but I can't find the patterns you mentioned. My friend wants to pay me, so if I only charge for :yarn, is that profiting :think ? 

Ellie 13

Edited by Ellie 13

Legally you wouldnt be supposed to sell the item, sell the pattern, publish the pattern, or even post pattern on internet for free without Universal's permission.  Minions fall under licensed characters.  When its between friends as you are suggesting it sort of depends on your conscience. 

https://crochetville.com/crochet-business-trademark-licensing/

I also did a search and saw patterns out there.  Some were in other languages.  Copyright laws vary from country to country.

Edited by bgs

7 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

That's an interesting refresher on copyright issues. She does say that you can create your own design and/or make it for your own use, just not sell it.

I find it a little odd that ravelry allows these patterns to be posted.

Some years back Disney made a big stink and threatened lawsuits and Etsy and Ravelry put out notices.  Seems everybody has gone slack again.  You can make something similar just don't call it by the copyright or trademark name.  ie. mickey mouse, minion...

3 hours ago, Ellie 13 said:

Diana, if I make my own design, can I sell the item and not the pattern (or vise/versa) :think ? I really want to make one, but I can't find the patterns you mentioned. My friend wants to pay me, so if I only charge for :yarn, is that profiting :think ? 

Ellie 13

I did my search on Bing search engine.  "Minion crochet pattern(s)" something like that a bunch of patterns surfaced including at crochet news site, etsy.  A page load.  Just call it something else. Yellow Monster or something like that.  🙂