Threads

LYNNE SPERONI

Question

9 answers to this question

Hi Lynn, welcome to the 'ville.  Most of the thread you'll find in stores is #10 'bedspread' or 'doily' cotton, which IMO would make a rather crude veil.  It typically comes in 400 yard balls but also in large ones over 1000 yards (Aunt Lydia's and Hobby Lobby brand that I know of), but like I said I'd not use it for a veil - I'm thinking you're wanting the sort of veil that women wore on their hats that could be pulled down over their face in the 1940's I think?  Or a bridal or church head covering veil?

The only place I know of that carries fine threads is Lacis in Berkeley California, but that's probably not the only place.

Crochet thread sizes are ranked with the bigger the number, the finer the thread.  In other words, #50 is smaller than #10. The thread that you'd use in your sewing machine is somewhere near #50 thread, which is used in (very) vintage doilies, and that would not be an unreasonable size to try to crochet a veil with.  You would want something in the neighborhood of a US #12 steel hook .  And young spry fingers and sharp eyes!  

You might consider looking at 'hat veil' or 'bridal veil' fabric online, (they have stuff that isn't just plain tulle), buying a yard and crocheting a fancy border (with the sewing thread, or maybe even #10 would work for a border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Creative Yarn Source carries Crochet Thread up to size 60. 

I've ordered their size 10, 20, 30 and been pleased with the quality of the thread.  I got some colors in 10 that I hadn't been able to find.  Prior to this I'd only seen Size 20 in white and off white and I'd never found 30 in anything but white.  It is nice to be able to get colors.

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 7:08 PM, Bailey4 said:

Creative Yarn Source carries Crochet Thread up to size 60. 

I've ordered their size 10, 20, 30 and been pleased with the quality of the thread.  I got some colors in 10 that I hadn't been able to find.  Prior to this I'd only seen Size 20 in white and off white and I'd never found 30 in anything but white.  It is nice to be able to get colors.

@Bailey4 I’m pretty new to thread and have been looking at others than #10.  But I’ve got a nosy question - what do you make with the colors?  My mind is tunneled into angels and snowflakes I guess, so white is all I have 😀

You asked Bailey4 but my two cents :2c -- I have 2 balls 'going' of those 'jumbo' balls (2730 yards versus 400 the colors come in), 1 'natural' and the other white, and usually make 1-color doilies with one or the other.  But I also have a tote full of smaller balls in all sorts to colors.

Once in a while a pattern will come up with different colored rounds that catches my eye, example like this one , altho I haven't made that particular one (if you look for mandala patterns instead of doily ones you'll find more not-monochrome examples).  Some of vintage doilies call for different colors, sometimes  ones with flowers and leaves, there are a few color photos on this page of vintage doily patterns, and some doilies photographed in B&W but call for different colors for butterflies and flowers etc.

Also, a lot of doilies are holiday themed so call for red, green, and-white for Xmas, black and orange for Halloween, and so on..

Edited by Granny Square