Inline steel thread hooks with handle suggestions

Bailey4

I'm starting to do some thread work again and realizing to my dismay that I am missing some hooks that I lost several years ago when I had to box some stuff up to accommodate the Christmas crowds.  I love my Bates Bamboo steel crochet hooks but I've scoured the Internet and while I've stockpiled my regular supply of hooks I can't find the steel hooks anywhere.

So I'm looking for some suggestions for hooks that are inline and have an additional handle to them.  I generally have used round handles but I may have to experiment to find something that will work and is currently sold on the market. 

The traditional Bates steel hooks are nothing short of torture and  I couldn't complete a project when I started crocheting and now that I've gotten older I wouldn't even want to subject my hands to the pain. There is nothing to hold on to and it feels like I'm crocheting with a sewing needle.  I need what is likely referred to as an ergonomic hook for steel crochet now.  I found that with the Bates hooks which is what allowed me to do the thread work I've done over the years.  I've limped along without replacing the ones I've lost but I'm running into patterns that require the missing link or this case hooks.

I know there is a range of experience out there and everyone has different preferences but I am specifically hoping to find an inline brand as I really am not a tapered fan.  Every so often I pick up a hook and realize I've bought one thinking it was similar to my Bates Bamboo and it annoys me greatly. 

Edited by Bailey4

I'm a tapered hook fan but I understand the 'feels like crocheting with a sewing needle' as I work mostly with thread.

What I have done is low cost so you won't be out much $ if you try this but don't like it--invest in some pencil-grip-pad thingies and rubber bands.  Take one of your 'sewing needle skinny' hooks, wrap it with a bunch of rubber bands where you grip the hook - I have a pencil grip so my grip area is probably smaller than an overhand grip person, I get buy with 1 pencil grip, overhand grippers might need 2 pencil grips per hook.  Shove the pencil grip over the rubber bands, this might take some trial and error to get them adjusted they way you like them.  I tend to use just a #7 hook 99% of the time, I wrapped that one up several years ago...it's looking a bit grody now but still works fine.  My grip is the foam kind similar to these, so is pretty spongy/comfy, but I assume other types would also work.

edit meant to add - for an overhand grip, 2 pencil grips end-to-end might work better.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCcountrygal said:

I’m not familiar with inline steel size hooks. I got this “Tulip” set some years ago.  Etimo keeps coming to mind   The grip works for me  for short projects 

Tulip Etimo hooks are my absolute favorite hooks! Both the steel and aluminum ones. The grip is very comfortable. I don't know if I've ever seen an inline steel hook either. They are so tiny at the end, I just thought they were all tapered.

25 minutes ago, NCcountrygal said:

I’m not familiar with inline steel size hooks. I got this “Tulip” set some years ago.  Etimo keeps coming to mind   The grip works for me  for short projects  

5D8290D9-E403-4390-B665-C0D8AC472471.jpeg

Stupid question but I'm asking because this set keeps popping up in my searches and I can't tell from looking at the pictures the actual hooks are metal correct?  Thank you so much for posting this picture because I can see the handles.  It looks like these are a little longer which I like.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Donna said:

Tulip Etimo hooks are my absolute favorite hooks! Both the steel and aluminum ones. The grip is very comfortable. I don't know if I've ever seen an inline steel hook either. They are so tiny at the end, I just thought they were all tapered.

I really wasn't sure because I have a mix of the old steele ones that are Bates and Boye so I figured perhaps if there was a difference I should look.

Does anyone have the pink tulip etimo steel hooks?  I was just wondering if the handles are rounder?  Different than the blue steel handles. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

Does anyone have the pink tulip etimo steel hooks?  I was just wondering if the handles are rounder?  Different than the blue steel handles. 

I thought the pink ones only came in aluminum, smallest size 2.00mm. I’m not 100% sure of that though. 

19 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

Stupid question but I'm asking because this set keeps popping up in my searches and I can't tell from looking at the pictures the actual hooks are metal correct?  Thank you so much for posting this picture because I can see the handles.  It looks like these are a little longer which I like.

Not a stupid question at all! Yes, the hook part is metal – steel for the thread hooks and aluminum for the yarn hooks. 

2 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

The hooks are steel and measure about 5 1/2” just under in length.   I have large hands, long fingers. Crochet in a knife hold position. I’m happy I purchased them.  

• Like 1

All my hooks are Clover Amour, even the small steel hooks for thread. I don't have any problems with pain or being uncomfortable when using them. To be honest, I don't know if sets are even still available. I bought a I/9 and a steel size 11 to try out and went back and bought the 2 sets at JoAnn's when they first became popular. I'm not sure where to buy them now.

I had a 2nd photo on here, but, it covered my reply so I deleted it (weird). It's in a following post.

Hooks2.jpg

Edited by ReniC
photo blocked my reply
  • Like 2

Photo of fronts. I couldn't figure out how to add the photo back on once I deleted it. Sorry about any confusion.

Hooks1.jpg

• Like 1