Counting.

gemlovesjasper

Question

This is ridiculous. I count my chains to be exactly what the multiple says. It comes up short every time. The funny thing is it only happens as my multiple gets bigger. I can do 11 + 2. It comes out fine. When I get above 100,  for some reason that's when things don't end like the pattern says It should. I keep trying. But Honestly! Would a stitch counter help?

5 answers to this question

I (personally) haven't found a stich counter worthwhile, as I start to use it and then forget , but that's me.

Tip 1:  use stitch markers  (I like to use bobby pins, a card of bobby pins is cheaper than the 'real' stitch markers at the craft store and they stay put; probably cheaper than stitch counters, too).  Put a stitch marker in every 20 or 50 or whatever-makes-sense number of stitches.  

Tip 2:  do the above, and chain a couple more.  Turn and work back, you can pick them out later (will not unravel from the knot end).  

• Like 1

I've used row counters I can't imagine trying to use a stitch counter that would drive me crazy.

I've used safety pins for years to count my stitches and when I have long chains or complicated pattern chains I will sometimes lay them out in 10's for ease of counting when I have a long row like for an afghan to make sure I've chained the correct amount.  I know some people dislike them because the yarn can get caught but it has worked well for me over the years.  (I recently picked up some plastic ones that are closed at the end so there isn't an opening for the yarn to get caught that I haven't tried yet.)  Especially when I'm working with dark colors I find when I'm counting long chains I lose count easily.  Marking them in rows of 10 just makes it easier for me to keep track of where I am.  As I mentioned I will also do this when there are pattern changes that rely on counting because it helps me with counting when there are long rows to keep track of the stitch count.