crochet mask size

BarbaraSD

Question

Hello. My son asked me to crochet him a face mask and there are wonderful tutorials on youtube. My question/problem is how to enlarge a pattern for his face size. He measured his face to be 14 inches from ear to ear. Should I make a chain 14 inches (or maybe 12 inches) and then adapt the pattern for those extra chains? I hope My question is understandable. Thank you for taking the time responding. Barbarasd

5 answers to this question

Is it a rectangle?  Then, sure, you can make a chain as long as you need and just work back across.  If it a shaped mask, you'll have to mark the center and figure out a 'new spot' to start the shaping.

You might want to think about a sewing pattern instead (there are free ones on the net), you really don't need a machine and you can probably hand sew one out of an old clean t-shirt (2 layers) a lot quicker than you can crochet one, just a thought (I've made 2 sets out of fabric on hand for me and DH, one set of woven muslin and the other from a sacrificed t-shirt, and the t-shirt is more comfortable than the muslin).  I also found out that you can use a strip of t-shirt fabric for an 'elastic' around the ears.  I would personally be leery of the comparative effectiveness and comfort of a crochet one (they're HOT, for one thing, even in in fabric).

• Like 1

I've started seeing pictures of the crochet masks and I just can't imagine they are terribly effective due to a layer that is essentially full of holes and the weight and heat of them.  I'd have to agree with Granny Square there are other options available that are far more practical, especially with the weather getting warmer.

Per my daughter, a Physicians Assistant; Crocheted masks are not very reliable to keep germs out because they are too porous. If a dependable filter can go on the inside of the mask, they might work, but it's a big might. 

Granny Square's suggestion is the way to go with a very tightly woven cotton fabric. Also. there should be some kind of bendable/flexible piece that fits inside to go over the nose area and mold to the bridge of the nose.

My niece makes masks for the hospital she works at in L.A., Calif. (they're very low on masks) and she's made some very cool looking masks. Fabrics with super heroes, golf theme, flowers, juvenile, sports teams, etc. She makes them with a slot on the inside for disposable filters (coffee filters work too). One nurse there uses the very thin ladies panty liners and cuts them to size. Who would have thought!

• Like 1

Interesting they used ribbing on that RH one, that should make it a tad thicker, maybe. 

To the OP - the hand sewing to sew the liner onto the crocheted one ReniC linked isn't ALL that much more than it would take to hand sew 2 pieces of fabric together, and if you used a t-shirt you wouldn't have to worry about fraying.  I'd probably use a blanket stitch as it would look a bit nicer since it's going to show...

Here is the sewing pattern I used on my t-shirt set, it does not have seam allowances (which you would have to add for machine sewing with finished edges, but not for hand sewing or if you machine zig-zag together on the 'right' side since it would be a narrow seam).  It has wider nose-to-chin shaping (curved side). You'd want to  seam the 2 curved sides together first, then place them with seams facing each other on the inside and blanket stitch around, sewing the straps to the sides as you go.  You don't have to sew the long sides of the straps if you use a t-shirt as it won't fray.  Or, crochet the straps.

Here is the one I used for my muslin set, it is fewer seams but looks more complicated (plus if you print it out, you need a microscope to read it; fortunately it's just 2 rectangles 9.5"x6.5"; you need to fold some tucks in there)

There are some youtube tutorias on 'how to sew a face mask by hand' or 'without a sewing machine', as well.

Edited by Granny Square