Looking for Monica's Eight Point Round Ripple Crochet Preemie Afghan

avzohner

Question

I'd love to buy this pattern from craftsy.com, but they don't have it anymore.  Is there anywhere else I can get it?  I love the round ripple without holes and also want to add ladders to the valleys like this afghan:

post-29586-135897507655.jpg

12 answers to this question

21 hours ago, avzohner said:

Thank you for those links.  If I don't want the hole at the peak (shell - 2 dc, ch2, 2dc), could I do 5 dc instead?  The next row, I would do the 5 dc in the 3rd dc (middle of the previous 5dc), right?  

I think that would work.

The 5dc replacing the shell worked great - here's what I've got so far.  It's about 20" from tip to tip.  I'm making it for the Charity Drive - how big should it be?  24"?  It's pretty squishy, but might be too heavy for a bitty preemie.

IMG_20190802_210928015.jpg

It's done!  24" from peak to peak and 20" from valley to valley.  I checked the Charity Drive and round blankets are usually 24-26".  Thank you so much for your help - I still had to mess with the beginnings of Row 2 and 3 (replaced shell with 5dc, but that meant I had to ch3 and do 4dc in the same st so the 5dc cluster would match the rest).  After Row 3, it was smooth sailing.  Quick question - if I did this all in white, would it be okay for a bereavement afghan?  Or should I stick with rectangular white afghans?  

No Holes_Round Ripple_Jacobs Ladder.jpg

Gosh its absolutely beautiful.  Would you mind posting it in Show and Tell for all to see?

I think it would be beautiful in white.  There again I would check with the organization you are working with to see if they only want rectangular blankets.

That is absolutely lovely, well done, I'm glad your modification achieved the look you were going for :yes .

I've always thought round blankets were cool looking, but wondered how practical they are for actual use.  I think we crocheters look at projects different than non-crafters, and think in terms of "that would be fun for me to make / I want to try that technique", where non crafters think "what were they thinking?" viewing the finished item.  I know I'm in that camp, I don't gift knit/crochet a lot, but when I do I'm mindful to stick to very conventional items/styles/colors (well, except for the occasional gag gift).

I think a bereavement blanket in white is a good idea, but I second Bgs' suggestion to check with the org you are donating to.  I just googled and the first site I looked at (for collecting bereavement blankets) said they wanted the majority in solid white, below is the link - I know it's not YOUR charity, but you might find the guidelines helpful.  They have links to suggested patterns and they are all rectangular.  My personal opinion is that a round blanket is too "out there" and might even upset some people (not everyone has seen a round blanket), and not appropriate for this occasion.  The rectangular ripple that was linked upstream with the Jacob's Ladder stitch would be a better choice than the round one IMHO.

https://www.thepreemieproject.com/programs/infant-bereavement/knit-and-crochet-blankets-for-bereavement-packages/

Thanks Granny Square - I think you are right on all counts.  This was definitely a "that is soooo cool - I wanna make it!", but I don't think it's as practical as a square or rectangular blanket.  I mean, I made kitty butt coasters once, just because - worked great as a white elephant gift, but not really for everyday use.  

I'll contact the organizer of the Charity Drive and see what she recommends.  Her "blanket sizes" file basically said - "I will take whatever you make", but I'd like to make things that are more mainstream so people aren't left going, "how do I use this?"

Archived