Double treble (dtr) in Jeannine Square from the Granny Square Book

l0g0p7

Question

Hi,

I'm having trouble working a dtr (double triple crochet) in my Jeannine square. I can do the dtr itself but I don't get the same result as in the book.

Quote from "The Granny Square Book 2nd edition" regarding the dtr "1 dtr, inserting hook from front to back, going in the beg ring and between the groups of dc" (there are 2 groups of 2 dc in round 1)

Picture 1: My work showing 2 strands of wool/yarn and then the stitches which is not what I want

Picture 2: Picture taken from "The Granny Square Book 2nd edition" which shows the stitches going down almost to the centre ring, unlike mine.

Thank you for any help you can provide

Luke

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

12 answers to this question

I am not sure from your picture if you are making your double treble correctly.  So to double check is this how you are making them?https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=6

If you are making them  that way then it could be a tension thing as sometimes mine can be loose like that so I have to slow down and be very deliberate while working the loops off my hook.

I dont know what part of the world you are in and want to make sure you realize  that there is a difference between UK and US crochet terminology and you always need to know which terminology your pattern is using.  Scroll down for conversion chart

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/crochet-abbreviations#term-differences

A UK double crochet is not the same as a US double crochet but is a US single crochet.

• Like 1

Hi Brenda,

yes that is how I am making them. same instructions in the book I'm reading from. It could be that but I kinda have to leave those (the 2 main strands of wool coming from the centre) loose otherwise the chain 3 space from round 1 will be pulled into the middle and there won't be a space there. This is were I am becoming stuck.

Ok good on making the stitch correctly.  Now I think the problem is you are making your stitch encompassing. the doubles of the previous row rather than between them so you arent getting those twists at the bottom.  You want to insert your hook in the ring between those double crochets and make your double treble so it lays on top of the doubles not encircling them.  That way you get those twists at the bottom.

• Like 1

You don't seem to have a lot of room in the ring to put that dtr because the original dc stitches in the ring are quite close together, taking up all the space. I think you may be leaving those 2 strands of the dtr coming out of the ring too loose... like @bgs was saying, kind of making them over top (maybe?) of the dc stitches in the ring rather than between. I hear you about not wanting to make the ch 3 sp disappear. Maybe try it anyway (tighter 2 strands, allow the ch 3 sp to get pulled tight), keep going, do the next round and see if it works itself out. I know sometimes I think something isn't going to work out (like... that ch 3 space is disappearing, how will I crochet into it!?!) but then it can end up working itself out if I keep going.

Also I was thinking... if you look at the photo from the book, their stitches are all quite loose and there is a lot of space to work. Your square is kind of tight and everything is close together so it will be hard to get the same effect/look. Maybe a larger hook size to get better gauge?

I agree that it may be a tension thing.  It looks like you are making them in the right space between US DCs.  However I can't quite tell if you have the right number of yarn overs around the hook, I think I may be seeing only 2 yarn overs not 3 (can't be positive as the bottom of the stitch is so loose, and the top 2 are so close together), but in any event they aren't distributed evenly as the stitch is being worked.

When you are making a tall stitch like this you sort of need to hang on to the yarnovers with your finger to keep the tension not tight, but steady.  I've copied your photos and drawn red lines where I am seeing the yarnovers in both.  (and when I say yarn over, it's the initial 3 yarn overs on your hook and the following yos and pull through to work them off).

Regarding tension in general, yours does look tight.  This may be a beginner thing as I crocheted tightly as a beginner as well, before I realized that I was crocheting at the very tip of the hook, and not using the shaft to 'size' the stitches.  Try pushing your stitches back past the tip a bit more, or using the next size bigger hook.  The yarn you are using looks nice and soft and fluffy, you want the fabric to be nice and soft and fluffy too, not dense and stiff.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

It occurs to me that, as a beginner, and this stitch doesn't come up all that often, is that it couldn't hurt to just practice a few double triples 'normally', without having to stretch over 2 rows of DC below you which is a little awkward for anyone, let alone a beginner.  In your square where you left off in the photo, rip out the loose dtr and make a few chains (to raise the stitch height and turn the corner), and just make DTRS into the tops of the stitches in next side of your square for a few stitches, to get the 'rhythm' for keeping them even.  Then rip them out and try the DTR in the right spot.

• Like 1

I guess I dont have that book.  I just crocheted a first round to show where to place hook for a double treble  I am sure it does not match your pattern.

This is what I suspect you are doing.

20190721_125441.thumb.jpg.9231989bf861855ba55293b8dd25f4a8.jpg

20190721_125500.thumb.jpg.8e365bffa5839ac45fd0c6998af77481.jpg

This is what you need to do

20190721_125640.thumb.jpg.f3b71cb55883ffb89f9c3af39134d7a8.jpg

20190721_125710.thumb.jpg.e90cbdfa27d3c020c898591557bd8ad9.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 2:43 AM, bgs said:

I guess I dont have that book.  I just crocheted a first round to show where to place hook for a double treble  I am sure it does not match your pattern.

This is what I suspect you are doing.

20190721_125441.thumb.jpg.9231989bf861855ba55293b8dd25f4a8.jpg

20190721_125500.thumb.jpg.8e365bffa5839ac45fd0c6998af77481.jpg

This is what you need to do

20190721_125640.thumb.jpg.f3b71cb55883ffb89f9c3af39134d7a8.jpg

20190721_125710.thumb.jpg.e90cbdfa27d3c020c898591557bd8ad9.jpg

Yes that looks what I have been doing. Would you be able to provide a little more explanation about what’s happening in the latter photos please as I’m not quite sure what’s happening?

On the photos on what you should be doing photo one shows my hook after 3 yarn overs, hook inserted into starting ring between stitches worked in starting ring, hook tip is coming out other side of starting ring and shows yarn over.  The white you see on my hook is the starting ring.  

Photo 2 is the pull up next loop and shows it around just the starting ring.  You have been working your double trebles around the starting ring and the stitches in row 1.  You only work them around the starting ring. The stitch will lay on top of the chains making corner space in row one.

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

I think you need to start with a bigger ring (add 2 - 4 more chs) since you are haveing trouble getting into the ring. Do what bgs showed in her pics. I hope this helps and good luck.

Ellie 13

• Like 1