How to remove stickiness from an ergonomic crochet hook

Princess Holly

Question

Maybe everybody already knows this except me, but today I figured something out and I thought I would share it with everyone.

I recently bought a new ergonomic crochet hook on eBay.  It is a Waves aluminum hook with a rubber handle.  I guess it wasn't stored properly; it probably was stored in hot temperatures because when I got it and took it fresh out of the package, the handle was so sticky there was no way I could use it.  The yarn would have stuck to it.  I tried cleaning it with soap and water and when I wiped it with a paper towel, the paper stuck all over it!  So then I tried Dawn dish soap, and after that a goo-remover called De-Solv-It.  Neither worked.  So I searched online, which led me to try rubbing alcohol and later a thick paste made of baking soda and water.  It was still really sticky!  Finally I came across an article that said in order to get the stickiness off of the grip of a tool, you must scrub the top layer of coating off of it.  So I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and scrubbed very hard for probably 15 minutes, and the top coating did eventually come off.  Now it is nice and smooth, and I can finally start crocheting with it! 🙂

9 answers to this question

I have used baby oil to get sticky spots off some things.  I don't know if that would have worked with your hooks, or not, though.  Glad you found a solution to a very sticky problem!  (O-o-o-o-o-o-o--did I really just say that?!!)

Thanks for passing that on, I'd never have thought of literally sanding the top surface off, but...I'm wondering if it won't come back if it gets hot again.  The material is undoubtedly the same all the way thru.  I had a similar sort of thing happen to me when I lived in the tropics when I was a kid (no air conditioning , no insulation, jalousie windows so same heat inside as out)--I had a couple of softish plastic toys that became sticky like that, so they got tossed.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:10 AM, Princess Holly said:

Maybe everybody already knows this except me, but today I figured something out and I thought I would share it with everyone.

I recently bought a new ergonomic crochet hook on eBay.  It is a Waves aluminum hook with a rubber handle.  I guess it wasn't stored properly; it probably was stored in hot temperatures because when I got it and took it fresh out of the package, the handle was so sticky there was no way I could use it.  The yarn would have stuck to it.  I tried cleaning it with soap and water and when I wiped it with a paper towel, the paper stuck all over it!  So then I tried Dawn dish soap, and after that a goo-remover called De-Solv-It.  Neither worked.  So I searched online, which led me to try rubbing alcohol and later a thick paste made of baking soda and water.  It was still really sticky!  Finally I came across an article that said in order to get the stickiness off of the grip of a tool, you must scrub the top layer of coating off of it.  So I used a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and scrubbed very hard for probably 15 minutes, and the top coating did eventually come off.  Now it is nice and smooth, and I can finally start crocheting with it! 🙂

I've had paint brushes where the handles turned sticky and l can add one more thing that didn't work:  Goo Gone

I removed it using an old credit card and scraping it off. 

@PatsyIpswich - It's the handles. It doesn't affect your stitches if you lose a bit of handle size. If you are referring to the size markings, I have worn those off of a few of my ergonomic hooks. A permanent Sharpie pen and writing the size on the bottom, where your hands never touch, solved that for me.

@Mysquirtles (I know this was an old post) - I'd first suggest washing in Dawn dishsoap, because of its grease absorbing properties, to remove any grease from the hooks. Then, I would cover them in a paste of baking soda and water, and put them in the sun for a few hours. And, if you still smell smoke, I would put them in a bag with some fabric softener for a day or so. If that doesn't remove the smell, it may "cover it up," with the softener smell.

Edited by Moz