recent spinning

xantha

Looks great in person. The next one over is some white roving plied with a great roving I bought from our own Dudley Spinner (Deb I finished another skein not shown here ... love it ) T

yarn2.jpg

Kim,

That is very very pretty plyed with the white!

Deb

I am curious you Americans seem to use a lot of singles . In Australia we ply our yarns more i was wondering why and what do you use you single yarns to make? Also don't you find that the item you make with singles slants to one side or the other because its not plied, is that why you block it the way you do. Plied yarns don't need all the extra blocking i find only if they are over spun. Sorry if it sounds silly to you but others have asked me to ask you this so im not the only one thats noticed.

Thanks Deb. I did two skeins, one plied with white and one plied with itself. I have a little left and can probably make a pair of baby socks out of it. I have been busy with other things that I haven't yet gotten to knit it up, but it spun beautitfully.

Kim,

That is very very pretty plyed with the white!

Deb

greensoxs.jpg

I am curious you Americans seem to use a lot of singles . In Australia we ply our yarns more i was wondering why and what do you use you single yarns to make? Also don't you find that the item you make with singles slants to one side or the other because its not plied, is that why you block it the way you do. Plied yarns don't need all the extra blocking i find only if they are over spun. Sorry if it sounds silly to you but others have asked me to ask you this so im not the only one thats noticed.

If you want a yarn to knit socks and can spin a singles that is balanced enough the color changes are very consistant. These socks are a singles about 17 wpi. They are a little like an isotoner sock, the yarn does not stretch out. I sometimes do a navajo 3 ply for socks, but it takes alot longer to do the spinning and the color repeats are never going to be as sharp. I guess the answer is because I can! I can spin a balance single yarn and use it for whatever I want without it skewing. When I finish the yarn it is stretched out and dried on a swift. It is easier for me to knit one strand because it never splits. Plying is fine, but sometimes just more work, that is a step I can skip and have good results. I wear these socks quite alot and they are wearing very well.

Deb

http://dudleyspinner.blogspot.com/2005/06/handspun-socks-wilde-greenies.html

I am curious you Americans seem to use a lot of singles.

I dunno about that; most of what I see here (and what I spin myself) is at least 2-ply when I finish it. I still take pictures of the singles.

However, the bias that happens when you knit or crochet with energized singles can be a lot of fun and give the item a completely different look! :)

[The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook actually has a couple of examples of socks knit with energized singles -- pretty neat!]

Got more spun. I'm finding that spinning is a fairly cheap version of therapy. I'm calling this one Love's Baby Soft because the primary colors were baby pink and baby blue. It's a supersoft merino that I dyed with a combination of Wilton and food dye.

85897920_7f3ef62095_m.jpg

Archived