Weird crochet hook?

Victoria Outram

Question

Hi,

I have been going through a bag of assorted crochet hooks and have found one which is like none of the other ones. It is plastic and has a hook at one end but the hook has a vertical slit down the side. It is also blunt at the top, and has a hole drilled through the hook at the other end. I have attached pictures of the hook as that will be easier to see than my description.

I have assumed that this is for crocheting of some sort, as in a bag of crochet hooks, but might not be. I Was wondering if anyone had seen a hook like this before, or knew what it is for?

post-79114-0-77163400-1484657471_thumb.jpg

post-79114-0-83530800-1484657483_thumb.jpg

post-79114-0-84507300-1484657494_thumb.jpg

post-79114-0-01185000-1484657504_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville!

That is strange looking.  My guess is that it might be used for tatting.  I know nothing about tatting, other than the lace fascinates me.  I looked at tatting tools on pinterest and didn't see anything like this, but I did see old tools that had the thread wrap around and a punch tool.  Is there a punch tool in the bag?

Thanks for the response, glad to see others as baffled as myself.

Where did you get the bag of hooks?

I got the bag from my grandmother, I don't know where she got it from. It was a big bag of assorted crochet hooks and knitting needles. She had no clue what it is for and has an awareness of most crafts like this. 

Is there a punch tool in the bag?

No the bag was just knitting needles and crochet hooks, which made me think that this was related. I had wondered if there was a form of crochet which used a non-traditional hook.

This post made me :lol ! The thought that some how an orange peeler ended up in a bag of crochet hooks and knitting needles is just too funny to me. It certainly looks like that's what it might be! You definitely came to the right place to ask though. ;)

There's something going on at the other end, too........a hole?  I think this thing is a hook for a type of weaving with loops on a loom........those old potholders.........a new kit might be using plastic tools now where as years ago a metal double ended one was the norm.           

You should see some of the bone or celluloid crochet items I have.........there's always manicure items that get in the stash.  LOL!!