Ponytail/messy bun hat pattern wanted

tlbuck

Question

I am looking for a simple messy bun/ponytail hat pattern for both children and adults.  Since I am on disability, I have to watch my pennies so I would be using scrap yarn to make these hats.  Any help would be appreciated.

Theresa

9 answers to this question

I made a couple for Christmas just by following a simple hat pattern.  All I did to change my usual thing is that I took a large hair elastic.  You know, the ones that are cloth covered I think so the don't pull your hair out, lol.  I can't think of the actual name.  Then I attached my yarn by sc to the elastic and filled in all around with sc's.  I think it took about 12-24 sc's.  After that I just used whatever stitch that I felt like.  Since it's been so cold here, I used hdc mostly.  I did my usual rounds with increases and kept trying it on my head to see how it fit as I went.  I used a bulky yarn for a couple and a worsted weight for one.  They all came out really cute and were a big hit!  OH!  I did one with a 2 inch brim, but the others did not have a brim.  I had planned to keep that one for myself, but it ended up as a gift and was the biggest hit of all, lol!  Good luck to you! 

Note: Sorry, I just edited my starting sc numbers.  I realized that I was thinking about some towel rings that I had been working on, lol.  I'm so sorry for the confusion!

Here is a 'recipe' that you can use to make any size hat out of any size yarn.

First, a link to a tutorial page.  On the left side, there's a section about working in the round, which contains a link to making hats.  If you don't know the 'recipe' of how to make a flat circle, read that section first.  In a nutshell:  find your hat wearer's head circumference, divide that number by 3.14  and make a flat circle of that diameter, or a bit smaller depending on how stretchy your stitches are (some say make them 2" smaller than the head, I personally like them not to stretch much).  Example, my head is 21", divided by 3.14 is about 6.7".  To make a flat circle, start with 6 stitches for sc, 9 stitches for hdc, and 12 stitches for dc -- for each row you will be increasing by that number.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

Here's a link to measurements for hats and other things for different ages

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

I meant to add...for your ponytail hat you want to leave a hole in the middle.  Let's say you want to use dc stitches.  I'm not sure how big the hole should be, but let's say the diameter of 3 rounds of DC, which would be 36 stitches (12 for round 1, 24 for round 2, 36  for round 3).  So, you'd want to make the flat circle with a hole in the middle, starting round 4 of the 'recipe' above by chaining 36 (the base of stitches you would have had after round 3), joining in a circle, and increasing by 12 stitches.

For any stitch, the recipe is:  

1) x (x =6 for sc, 9 for hdc, 12 for dc)

2) 1 stitch, increase in the next stitch, repeat

3) 2 stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

4) 3 stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

5) 4 stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

6 5 stitches, increase in the next stitch, repeat

at the end of each round, slip stitch into the first stitch of the round to join, chain up to start the next round.

I haven't yet, but, plan on making this one (Repeat Crafter Me) for my GD and G-GD's when I have a chance.
I like this one also by A Crocheted Simplicity for the way the pony tail opening is made. (toddler- adult size)

Reni, I love the first pattern you posted!  Maybe it will get me back into the swing of things for the new year! 

If you are on Ravelry, there are a lot of patterns.  Lots posted every day right now.  If you aren't on there, it is free to join and you have to joint to see them.

Here is the search for free patterns for you:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#availability=free&craft=crochet&query=messy%20bun&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

froggy, on 04 Jan 2017 - 3:26 PM, said:

Reni, I love the first pattern you posted!  Maybe it will get me back into the swing of things for the new year! 

Git-er-dun Froggy! You should have it finished in no time for an incentive.

Archived