Mixing yarn weights?

Susan Casey

Question

Hi, I am a beginner doing Amigurumi and might try working in rows in the future.

I made a project in baby weight yarn and I loved working with that weight as opposed to worsted weight.

I am buying more yarn, I need a palette of colors to work from for current and future projects.

My concern or question is can you mix baby weight and worsted weight in the same project or do they not mix?

12 answers to this question

Hi, welcome to the ville!

You can use different wieghts in one project, but it depends on *how* you are combining them, how big a difference there is between the weights, and the pattern you are using.  

so for example if you are making an ami and you want to use worsted for the head, and baby weight to make the eyes to sew on, that will work; you may have to add rounds to make the eyes the appropriate size.   

to use baby yarn as a substitute for worsted, you may be able to use 2 strands of it at once https://www.lionbrand.com/faq/16.html?language=

each category of yarn is actually a range as you can see http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/weight.html   and each manufacturer decides what category their yarn goes in.  so you may have to swatch and experiment to see what yarns and combinations work for you in the specific project.  

Edited by magiccrochetfan

magiccrochetfan is right. I wouldn't mix yarn weights in the same pattern myself though. It won't look right, and the stitches won't line up properly. You'll have to change hooks too, or get big wide loose stitches with the smaller yarn, and too tight with the thicker one. I'm telilng you it won't work, but maybe someone else has other advice.

I agree with the above...I've seen it done in freeform when you are going for an artsy, rustic sort of look, but it would be an extraordinary circumstance (for me personally) to mix them in a project.  Heck, I just finished a project with thick/thin yarn (which I didn't realize it was when I bought it), and hated the look...but obviously it appeals to some folks.

Perhaps if there was a definite demarcation/reason to do so--maybe a toddler dress with the bodice of 1 weight & the skirt in another, or a lacy edging in a finer weight than the blanket--that sort of thing. 

Thank you both. I just got more worsted weight yarn, so I am going to be consistent and use that. I'll hang on to this baby weight for projects where I can use it solo. I made a little cat with the soft baby weight yarn and then used a pet slicker brush to make it fuzzy. It turned out so well. (If I may say so myself, lol) Definitely my best piece so far. Thanks for your help.

I've mixed weights & fibers. So far I've only done it to put a different edge & collar on clothing. I also use thinner yarn for embroidering faces. I have an amigurumi book that uses different weights & textures to make fur, but I haven't made anything in the book, yet. So, I think it depends on the project & what you want it to look like.

Your fuzzy cat sounds really cute!  If you can post a photo, we'd love to see it  :hook

Here is my little cat. I used soft baby weight yarn (which was a dream to work with) and a pet slicker brush before assembling to make is fuzzy. The cat stands 4-5 inches tall. This is my best piece so far.

The pattern is from Planet June. 

SaveSave

post-77789-0-89248000-1465756460_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome to the 'ville!  Where are you (I will assume USA as I'm more familiar with US brands ) 

I would not recommend mixing different weights of yarn in a baby blanket (maybe possibly for a contrasting trim, as someone mentioned above), but you don't need to have all the yarn be the same brand, as long as they are the same weight.   Link of US yarn standards, and how the skeins are marked, with little skein symbols with yarn weight denoted by numbers. 

You might try shopping online, like Webs, Herrschner's , yarnspirations (this site is the 'parent company' for most US brands, including Red Heart, Bernat & Patons ), Lion Brand - that covers most of the yarns I've seen 'on the shelf'...oh wait Premier Yarns (I like their sock yarn, Joanns carries it).  There are probably other online sources that others will chime in with.

Re working with 2 different yarn weights.  Heh heh.  I decided to make a granny square doily using 2 different weights of thread - #3 and #5, I think.  Well, of course, it now has a twisted spirallic look.  Meh. It's hanging on a lamp shade for all to see!   I can always claim this shape as a "design feature"...  

Interesting!  I make a lot of doilies and have enough trouble keeping them flat without mixing weights :lol 

I've seen mixed weight projects that did that 'on purpose', going for a boho / edgy / 'design feature' look, which is fine, different strokes and all that but not my cup of tea.  I imagine it takes some major improvising to get the fabric to lie flat, which is why I wanted to steer Miclady to using the same weight of yarn so she could stick to her pattern (hopefully) without design features :wink .

• Like 1