Where to pull from? inside or outside?

creekbottom

Question

I'm becoming a snob about yarn, I really like pulling from the centre.  How do you know if you can pull from the center of something?  I googled and everyone is different.  Do you have to check brands?  Red heart makes their skeins center pull but not their balls.  I think Lion brand makes everything centerpull, even Michaels craftsmart brand skeins are center pull.  I HATE a rolling ball of yarn now!!!

8 answers to this question

You can usually find me digging into the middle of the yarn, to find the end, so it can be pulled from the center.  I don't care if I get a big burp. I am happier if I can pull from the center.

A lot will tell you it doesn't matter, as it is a matter of preference.

Welcome to the center pullers.

I center pull, unless there is a cardboard tube in the middle. Sometimes there's yarn barf, but once you get through it, center pull is easier.

For balls you can squish them flatter to help find the center's end.

I put the yarn in a mesh laundry bag and weave the end through one of the holes. This keeps the yarn mostly tangle free and self feeding. It also keeps it clean and keeps it from rolling.

i pull from the outside, unless the center pull tail is very obvious.  I really do not like to deal with the barf.  Rolling balls don't bother me because I just put the ball in a bowl or a gallon ice cream tub, and it rolls around in there; if i need to take the yarn out of the house I put it in a baggie and that contains it.  I've gone to stitchig group a few times with my yarn and project in the ice cream tub.  

I'm with Magiccrochetfan, I usually pull from the outside too.  I think some brands are wound more center-pull-friendly than others, but I dislike the 'outside collapse' at the end worse than the barf.  I don't mind the ball or skein rolling around next to me on the couch.

I prefer the center pull!  If the skein starts to collapse at the end, I just roll it into a center pull ball, and keep on "keepin' on"!

I love center pulls even if I have to wind them that way myself.

One of our local delis often has gallon Miracle Whip jugs with wide screw-on lids. I punch the right size hole in the lid, plop the yarn inside (it'll hold anything up to a pound) and carry it around by the handle.

Watch out! Lion Brand does not have all center pull skeins! I got sick of trying to find the inner tails. If it doesn't say center pull on the label, it isn't. I now just automatically wind from the outside with all their yarn.

I love center pull yarns. Bernat is the only yarn I have run into where even though it comes with a center pull string, almost without fail if I use it about a third of the way through the skein the whole ball is one big knot. I am speaking of their baby yarns, I don't know about their regular worsted. But after several years of dealing with spending about half my crochet time spent untangling yarn I finally got smart and used the outside string. Not a big fan of the rolling around but far less frustrating!

Archived