Re: Blanket help...

JacquiP

Question

Good Evening

I am really interested in knowing how to make the centre section of this blanket. If anyone can establish how this has been done, I would be most appreciative. I am from the UK so please confirm if any help is in UK or US terms

Thank you in advance

Jacqui

post-76459-0-83189900-1448751638_thumb.jpg

25 answers to this question

Well there you go! How kind is that of Miss Laura at TillieTulip? Thank you so much Laura. Your work is beautiful.

I'll let you all know when it is up. It may take a few days, but I'm working on it!

(What a nice group  :) )

I hope that you get lots of sales of your stunning pattern. You are amazing and so helpful. What a lovely fraternity crochet is xxx

Thank you redroses! It did. It's fun to do, and fairly quick with the large middle granny. My next pattern will be a freebie at my blog for this cowl. Hopefully, I can get it up there before Christmas...!

post-76469-0-54948700-1450372683_thumb.jpg

I finally finished the pattern. For some reason, in between kids, work and holidays, it took me two weeks... The center panel is 24 rounds. If you would like to purchase the pattern, it is available here: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/260824401/pattern-daisies-on-the-edge-bubblegum?ref=shop_home_active_1

It's called Daisies on the Edge. I switched up the colors a bit. 

Hope everyone has a very happy holiday season!

post-76469-0-56496200-1450320748_thumb.jpg

Hi Ladies, 

I am working on putting this pattern together in written form, but the center block is really just a granny square. I don't remember how many rounds I did, but I will let you know as soon as I recreate it -- this was from a few years ago.

I like a tight square, so I do not add any chains between dc groups, and I only use a ch2 in corners. It may be an optical illusion, but it is one single square :)

Wow thanks so much for doing that, It's great that you are doing this as the picture seemed so different. To me that is some optical illusion.

Hi Ladies, 

I am working on putting this pattern together in written form, but the center block is really just a granny square. I don't remember how many rounds I did, but I will let you know as soon as I recreate it -- this was from a few years ago.

I like a tight square, so I do not add any chains between dc groups, and I only use a ch2 in corners. It may be an optical illusion, but it is one single square :)

Hope that helps. I'll let you know when I have something together.

Oh wow! That is amazing. You are amazing! Thank you so much. Please ensure you let me know what I need to pay you. I can send the payment through PayPal if that is ok? Thank you once again. Your work is amazing. Truely beautiful. I am fairly new to crochet and I love looking at the things you have made and shall be trying some of them myself xxx

Hi Ladies, 

Hope that helps. I'll let you know when I have something together.

Of course I could be way off but I made it bigger and tried following it from the center, like the
granny one goes around and this one doesn't seem to go around like them. To me it appears to be
triangles or something different like first thought.

well that is some illusion as it is not the way it looks at all. I like making things from pictures but this time I wouldn't have been able to get it right by this one.

I agree that the corners on that LB pattern sounded awfully tight; I learned grannies with 0 chains on sides, 3 in  corners....and Tilly Tulip has 0 on the sides, 2 in the corners, and that even looks like the same shade of pink on your last link, doesn't it!  Aha!

And, um, spirals have been on my to-try list for a long time, I've never made one!  I guess I've never paid close enough attention to see that they weren't more mysterious...

Granny Square, on 29 Nov 2015 - 3:13 PM, said:Granny Square, on 29 Nov 2015 - 3:13 PM, said:Granny Square, on 29 Nov 2015 - 3:13 PM, said:Granny Square, on 29 Nov 2015 - 3:13 PM, said:Granny Square, on 29 Nov 2015 - 3:13 PM, said:

Reni, did you mean to link to a spiral pattern?

This pattern is a really tight giant granny, it uses 0 chains between granny shells on the sides, and only 1 chain in the corner.

http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60637AD.html?ss=

Hi Magic Crochet: The Spiral afghan when crocheted with a single color comes out as a Granny. It's just a matter of dropping colors and adding colors.

Although, the pattern in your link may just work better in regards to the sides, but, in order to distinguish the more open look on the corners, there might need to be (3 dc, ch 3, 3 dc). What do you think?

The link to the photo is on Etsy.  And, TillieTulip generously offers her Daisy Square pattern free.

ETA:

Ha! I just found this Granny Square in her tutorials. Must be the pattern she used for the center, ya' think? Seek and ye shall find!

Hmmmm. Could be the Never Ending Granny. (US crochet terms)

I made the same pink pattern many years ago JacquiP showed the pic of, but, can't remember exactly what the pattern was titled. I do remember though, instead of ch 3 between each 3 dc, it was ch 2 for a less open look. I can't remember what the chain count was on the corners. Sorry.

Huh.  It does look like what you described in post 2, Redrosesdz.  Although, I can't imagine why one would go to all that trouble versus a plain giant granny in the center, turning every row to defeat the bias. It's all in the eye of the beholder I know, but I don't see visual advantage of making it that way (4 quarters, half reversed).  I suspect it just looks 'different' because of the odd angle of the photo and the way the light is hitting it.  I think, if you made it as described in post 2, and looked at it straight on, it would look more 'meh'.

If you wanted to make 4 triangles and stitch them together, you'd need to find a pattern for a quarter granny - post 5 shows a half granny.  (I'm not finding a legit pattern I can post here, though...)

Also, I'm seeing definite holes in all 4 quadrants, not no-holes.  I think the holes are harder to see in certain areas because of the extreme tilt of the photo.

I just googled "Unholey Granny Square", and got several hits!  If you can't find it, send me a private message, and I'll get my personal pattern to you.

If the light pink section is the center, it looks to me to be a granny square with no holes.  I can't remember the name of it.  Granny Square--are you online?

I've never seen this before, but I have a guess.  The north-south triangles are showing the wrong side and the east-west ones are showing the right side.  So, my guess is that it's 4 granny square triangles joined together with a dark pink granny square edge.

Granny Square, an extremely knowledgeable Crochetville member, has explained many times that crochet stitches have a bias.  If a round is done without turning, it will be skewed.  If a round (or a flat) is turned every time, the bias evens out.

//////////  vs. //////////

//////////       \\\\\\\\\\

//////////       //////////

//////////       \\\\\\\\\\

So, I think the creator did triangles, reversing 2 of them, to make up for the bias.  Anyway, that's purely a guess.

Archived