Identify this stitch please?

chickie

Question

Hi everyone. I made a couple of cowls last year. They are really stretchy and puffy (no puff stitches involved) and I want to make a few more as Christmas gifts. But I can't find the pattern I used and I don't know what stitches I did. It looks like a very simple pattern and I'm pretty new to crochet, so it should be something easy for a pro to recognize....I hope!!  Thanks so much for looking!

The photos are of the front, the back, and then I stretched it so you could see those long lines...which are what is throwing me!  How did I do this?  HELP?

post-76360-0-59687800-1447472846_thumb.jpg

post-76360-0-46849500-1447472938_thumb.jpg

post-76360-0-01193100-1447472995_thumb.jpg

I looked through my "Crochet Bible", which has over 200 stitches and couldn't find it.  The closest thing I could come up with is the waffle stitch, which has that line and is soft and puffy.  The difference is that the waffle stitch is reversible, too.

Sorry that I couldn't identify it, but you'd get similar results from the waffle.  Here are two links to projects I've posted here using the waffle stitch...

Purple dishcloth, using worsted cotton yarn, in a tight waffle stitch.  (First photo, third set.)

Baby blanket, using super bulky blanket yarn, in a loose waffle stitch.

I hope someone else can find it for you!!

ETA: I just went looking for a link that shows how to do the waffle stitch in my book.  I had no clue that there were so many different definitions for "waffle" stitch!

Thanks redrosesdz, but that's not it.  I really think it's just something pretty basic because I haven't been crocheting for long and I'm just now learning that there are stitches beyond sc, dc, & hdc.  SO many stiches to learn!  I'm really excited to have found this site full of people who crochet!   I hope someday I can help someone with something. But for now I'll keep checking back and hope someone figures this out for me.  Thanks again for trying!

Yeah, I knew the waffle stitch wasn't the right one.  I was just thinking that I'd offer an alternative in case yours wasn't identified. 

I tried to recreate your stitch, because it looks like 3 chains & 2 skipped stitches, but I'm not sure how they're connected.  I flipped your picture around to see if that would help, but it didn't.  All I can tell is that it's done in rounds without turning. 

If you'd like to try the waffle stitch, it's pretty easy.  I'm going to give the instructions, just in case you'd like to try it.

Special stitch (similar to sc2tog): Insert hook in the first stitch/space and pull up a loop.  Insert hook in the next stitch/space and pull up a loop.  Yarn over (YO) and pull through 2 loops.  YO and pull through 2 loops.

Foundation chain: Odd number

Row 1: Special stitch in 3rd & 4th chains from the hook, ch1.  Repeat in every 2 stitches until the last stitch.  SC in last stitch.  Ch2, turn

Row 2: Special stitch in the 1st 2 spaces (around the strand), ch1.  Repeat in every space around the strands.  SC in last stitch.  Ch2, turn.

Repeat row 2.

That's the flat instructions.  You can either create a flat piece and sew it together to make a cowl or you can slip stitch the last sc to the first stitch to create a round.

Huh.  I'm not great at 'guess this stitch', but I think you've invented a new one!  I also turned that last pic upside down and it didn't help much.

Once you get past the basic stitches, crochet is bad re: stitch names, many names have different stitches attached to them, and the other way around.

Here are two close ups of the stitch, front and back. I really stretched them out so you could see them better. When I let go, they look like little puffs (please see original photos) and you can only see the lines on the reverse side.  It looks like chains?  But how are they joined?  Please help?

post-76360-0-59599700-1447524292_thumb.jpg

post-76360-0-68372400-1447524334_thumb.jpg

I haven't seen this one in awhile. Many years ago I made a shawl in this same stitch- Extended Dc Mesh Stitch.

I am only able to find the stitch online with a extended-sc (esc)

The pic is from Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia, titled Extended Mesh pg8.

With the esc stitch: The tutorial is on New Stitch A Day  and AgHandmades.

Using the dc instead of a sc in the Ext-mesh-st should give you the results you seek. I hope anyway. :U  

post-17452-0-05374600-1447529827_thumb.jpg

Reni, as soon as I saw your moniker on this thread I said to myself, "Oh Good, Reni found it."  Then I read your response.  You're so good at finding the obscure!  :)

ETA: My book and AgHandmades are very similar.  My book calls the stitch "linked extended scs."

I haven't seen this one in awhile. Many years ago I made a shawl in this same stitch- Extended Dc Mesh Stitch.

I am only able to find the stitch online with a extended-sc (esc)

The pic is from Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia, titled Extended Mesh pg8.

With the esc stitch: The tutorial is on New Stitch A Day  and AgHandmades.

Using the dc instead of a sc in the Ext-mesh-st should give you the results you seek. I hope anyway. :U  

Very interesting!  I will have to swatch this and see what mine looks like.  I like to use ext sts but have not seen this one before.  :cheer:hook

Maybe I was a bit hasty on this stitch ????

After looking more closely at the pics "chickie" posted, her stand alone strand is on the same side each row. I constructed a swatch and my "stand alone" strand in the stitch is on the opposite sides on each row.

I'm just not sure if it is the references I posted. Any more thoughts?

There are a half-dozen or so big name yarn manufacturers.  Plus all the big box stores carry their own brand, like HL's ILTY, AC Moore's Stitch Studio and Michael's Loops & Threads.  These are all considered the "cheap" yarns.  Add to that a few big names that are sold on the internet.

Then there are the premium yarns sold at yarn boutiques, farms, yarn conventions, etc.  Some of these are sold online, too.  There are literally thousands of yarn spinners out there.  A friend of mine just went to a yarn convention last month in NY.  The brochure she brought back listed over 500 vendors at the convention.  Your best bet is to google your area for a yarn store.  Go and talk to the owner about the different yarns they carry.  Most local yarn stores tend to cater primarily to knitters.  Knitting uses less yarn than crochet.  If you decide to buy, make something small at first, like a headband or fingerless mittens.

Thank you so much, renic!  :day This is it!  I just added one more "loop over and pull through one" in the middle of the stitch instruction to get the height (and therefore the "puff") that I wanted.  It worked great!  Of course I'm having trouble with the ends of rows. I always do. And not really sure where to insert the hook on each stitch across.  But those are things I can stumble around with until I work them out. But I never would have found this stitch without help. I never heard that name and have no idea where I got it.  This time I'm going to write it all out!  Thanks again!  I'm going to go work the bugs out so I can get going on a cowl.   

Btw, if anyone has any other cowl stitch ideas, I'd love to hear them. I want to make 6 before Christmas.

I'm going to try the waffle stich that redrosesdz sent me first. :ty

chickie that's great!!!

So, you are using a ext-hdc instead of a ext-sc. I was just working on a swatch trying to make this with a ext-dc. That's the stitch I used years ago. I'm so glad for you.

A little later I'll look through my patterns and see if I find anything unusual in stitches for you.

Btw, I have never belonged to a group like this before. I've never posted or replied or such (I don't

tweet or do facebook). So please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm not sure when to post here orwhen (or how) to start a new topic.

I have arthritis in my hands. I have been crocheting for about 3 years now just

for the exercise (not sure it's helping but now I'm hooked!). I'm finally ready to learn more than

the basic stitches and to make more than scarves. This year I tried hats and that worked out well.

Now I'm trying cowls. I would love to make mittens but I can't seem to get two to come out exactly the same and they always look pointy at the top.

I donate most of what I make to a local shelter. This year I plan to give them at least 50 hats and

scarves for Christmas. So making mittens would be great for them. If anyone has any easy mitten tips

I'm willing to try again! Thanks

A few thoughts:  I think maybe what Chickie is doing is actually an "extended-extended" sc, that is making 2 chains at the bottom of the sc stitch, rather than an extended hdc.  an additional "loop over and pull thru one" would add that second chain below the sc.  Based on the photos I think I see what looks like 3 chains, which would be the stacked ch-ch-sc.  Of course I may well be wrong, it may be an extended hdc.  

Coincidentally I have the Visual Stitches book checked out of the library right now, it is a great book, I need to get my own copy.  Chickie as far as making cowls you could use a book like that to find stitch patterns you like the looks of and make a cowl from any of them.  

I've never made mittens so I don't have any tips.  If you've been using a pattern, you could tell us the name and where it is and maybe we could offer advice, and/or post a photo of some of your mittens.  

My idea on when to post a new thread is, when you want to completely change the subject.  

Thanks magiccrochetfan. I will check that book out. As far as what to call the

stitch I'm doing...well, I have no idea. I do think what you said about the

stacked chains seems right, though. Anyway, I was not going to get any sleep

until I made a small cowl using this stitch, so here it is! And I can sleep

tonight! Thanks everyone!

post-76360-0-35627900-1447561376_thumb.jpg

This pattern would look great in any 4 weight yarn for winter. You could use the same size hook as in the pattern. However, since the yarn is a bit heavier than the Bamboo, it would be a little bit larger. It looks like a fairly quick pattern too. I just may bookmark it for myself to make a gift or two from it.

That's a beautiful cowl, Chickie!  I love the football hat, too!

I'm glad you're going to try the waffle stitch.  It's very similar to what you're doing already.  I'm going to try your stitch next time, instead of the waffle stitch.  So, we both learned something new!  :D

By the way, the book that Magic mentioned is great.  I use "The Crochet Stitch Bible" for a variety of stitches.  It's got a lot of how-to pics, instructions and diagrams.  You may want to check out a couple of crochet stitch books from your library.  Test them out to see what you want to buy.  I wound up buying the "A to Z of Crochet", too.  However, I find myself using the first book and rarely opening the A to Z.  I think once you find one favorite book of stitches, that's the one you'll use most.

I love the lacy scarf patter, Reni.  I'll try it for winter, but what a beautiful idea for a summer scarf! Thank you. (although I never tried a silky yarn...could be too hard for me?)

I'll be trying the waffle stitch today, redrose, while I watch football. I usually only crochet at night but Sunday I get an early start if there's a game on!

I will definitely check out some books.  I spent so much time doing the basic stitches just for the hand exercise and to pass the time. I'm ready for a few challenges. Wish me luck!

chickie, on 15 Nov 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:chickie, on 15 Nov 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:chickie, on 15 Nov 2015 - 10:24 AM, said:

I love the lacy scarf patter, Reni.  I'll try it for winter, but what a beautiful idea for a summer scarf! Thank you. (although I never tried a silky yarn...could be too hard for me?)

Don't let the Bamboo yarn intimidate you. It's very easy to use and don't forget, this pattern can be made in any yarn with just a bit of adjusting with st count and hook size to fit your preference.

Many (and I mean many) years ago when I started expanding my crochet in different kinds of yarn, there were not near as many different types/blends offered. I went ahead anyway and explored to figure out what my preferences were. Go for it to find out what is you! :rock 

ETA: Your new scarf is very pretty. I love the way it striped. Which yarn did you use for that one?

Archived