another failed project ????

sgd1403

Question

Newbie here. I tried making simple boot cuffs. Easy peasy, right?

Not so much. They ended way to big and my edges are still uneven.

I am finding it really hard to read the stitches for one thing. I bought a stitch counter even! Go figure ????.

14 answers to this question

Aha! I have not been marking the first stitch. I found the pattern on pinterest. I'm also too technically challenged to copy the pattern for you but it was (seemed) so simple. Ch 20 or calf size and then dc into ch × seven. Oh, and having trouble finishing, tieing off.

welcome to the ville!

did you understand what "dc into ch × seven"  means?  that seems very vague to me.

unfortunately pinterest is not the best place to look for patterns,

What yarn are you using?  some yarns are very hard to see the sttiches in.

I would recommend getting a good reference book like Complete Photo Guide to Crochet or Donna Koolers Encyclopedia of Crochet, you should be able to get crochet books via your local library and see which you like best, to decide before you purchase it. 

Here are some good reference sites for you to look at

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html    Part 4 under Getting Started covers finsihing off

nexstitch.com is a very good site but my browser can't open it now for some reason.  

There are 2 aspects of DC that a lot of new crocheters have trouble with (1)miss the turning chain at the end of a row; this usually ends up with their work losing a stitch each row. (2) chaining 3, then making a DC into the first DC of the row -- this adds a stitch.

For DC, you want to chain 2 more than the number of stitches you want to end up with, then make your first dc into the 4th chain from the hook.  At that point, you have what represents 2 DC;  the 3 chains = 1 DC, and the 'real' dc that you made.  (so, out of 4 chains, you have 2 DC, sort of a math 'proof' as to why you chain 2 more than the end # of stitches).  At this point, you want to put your marker in the top chain of the 3 chains that = 1 DC.

DC across your chain.  Chain 3, turn.

Now, skip the first DC.  Reason:  the ch-3 takes the place of that first dc.  Put another marker in the top of the ch-3.  DC to the end, the last stitch will be where your  stitch marker was placed in the row below.  Chain 3, turn.

Repeat that last step until the piece is as tall as you want.

Hang in there, it really does take some practice :yes

I knew those in the know would be here soon.  One thing I do advise, is make sure you mark the first stitch. 

As Kathy said, there are no failures, just trials.  I have never gotten a patter off pinrest, I will try to follow the pattern till I find where it is like Rivelry.

It sounds like it should be easy but it can always be a bit tricky when you need to make something that has to fit and then even trickier to make two that match.  Are you using the same yarn and did you make a swatch to see if you match the guage for the pattern?

The yarn I used is LionBrand, Wool-Ease thick & quick and an N sz'd hook.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help-I know my inquiries may be confusing for now because well, I'm working with a deficit to begin with. I'm dyslexic (so got that going for me :/).

Last night I practiced on my stitches after reading your suggestions. I tried my hand at a potholder.

All was sc into the chain. I marked all the beginning stitches and still ended with a trapezoid

I don't know the name of yarn that I used last night. It was sort of skinny and used a sz G hook.

I know now that I was marking my end stitches wrong and turning before chaining 2.

Thanks again. I will take your suggestions and hit the library for some books,too

Many thanks: magiccrochetfan, Granny Square, Tampa Doll, & bgs

You have to really have to keep count of your stitches for each row.  Even on a simple back and forth same stitch something I still can't take it for granted that I won't gain or lose a stitch so count I must.  Another thing to watch is your tension.  Mine tends to tighten up the longer I crochet.  I have to pull things apart all the time because I messed up somewhere.   

I had this same issue with a pair of fingerless gloves. Because I was attempting faux cables. I kept missing a stitch and ended up with a triangle type thing rather than an even rectangle. I still haven't managed that pattern. But I think I was missing the top of my first DC in each row.

First Relax..We were all newbies at one time...Also trying to learn to crochet is hard my suggestions are get some cheap Red Heart Super Saver can get that brand anywhere it's not thick it's just right to practice (screwing up and getting things right with) plus it is always forgiving when trying to learn to crochet..

Then just make a simple say wash cloth just sc this will allow you to mark your first stitch see where things are going off track better then thicker or different types of yarn & sometimes it your gauge( what is gauge your asking?)

Gauge is the term that is used to define the proper tension you should work to insure that the crocheted piece you make will be the right size when it's completed. The hook size listed in the pattern is just the size used by the designer to work at the proper gauge. You may need to change hook size in order to work at the given gauge. It is especially important to work to the proper gauge when making garments -- anything that you want to fit properly! Also check then Yarn for the proper HOOK SIZE you should use...:O)

Archived