What do I do with these specialty yarns?

Maryeah Kramer

Question

I've got three skeins of this pom pom yarn: https://d1clie5a7ombvq.cloudfront.net/index.php/v1/images/694cbbd13879737ed39b15db4ee74d5c/38560129-b6b6-4609-96b7-6c1775632a45.jpg/0/-/390X390

and then I have some of that ribbon yarn as well. I have looked but found almost no uses for them! I have had them for ages. 

Thanks for help in advance !

6 answers to this question

I am not really a fan of specialty yarns to use as the main part of an item but I tend to use them as trim for scarves and hats, depending on which yarn I have. I used fun fur with a strand of worsted as the beginning and end rows of a scarf (middle was  baby clouds and I only had enough for a teeny scarf). I used the fun fur also with a strand of worsted on a fold up brim on a hat.

You could try a scarf with regular yarn and then add a simple edging with the pom pom yarn. I have it also, just haven't gotten around to using it but I bought it specifically for that reason.

Never used ribbon yarn, for the projects I do for charity, it isn't warm enough.

Hopefully, someone else can come up with more ideas.

Roe

Are they still being made?  You could go to the pattern company site, they may have some patterns specifically designed for them. I've seen scarves and ponchos/shawls using ribbon yarn.  

Have you tried googling 'patterns using ribbon yarn' or pom-pom yarn?  If not patterns, you might get some inspiration from google images.

I saw a clever blanket that looks like it was made with plain dc, every 3rd row carrying the string part of the pom pom yarn along and letting the pom pom 'pop out' every few stitches, that was kind of cute (was just a pic on pinterest, I don't belong and can't link, but wouldn't be hard). 

I saw a clever blanket that looks like it was made with plain dc, every 3rd row carrying the string part of the pom pom yarn along and letting the pom pom 'pop out' every few stitches, that was kind of cute (was just a pic on pinterest, I don't belong and can't link, but wouldn't be hard). 

That sound like a cute idea. My DIL requested and I made a stuffed rabbit from the pom pom yarn. When I finally finished it, I swore I would never touch the stuff again!

It's difficult to do much with either of these yarns.

I haven't used the pompom yarn, but I think I would only try it as an edging.

Ribbon yarn doesn't work up well by itself. I have some I crocheted together with a complementary worsted weight acrylic yarn and it was gorgeous. I'm trying to remember what size hook I used. I'm pretty sure it was an L hook.

The necklaces are made from "ladder" ribbon yarns.  If the ribbon yarn is very thin you can work it with sportweight or worsted yarn to make pretty scarves, hats or bags.  Using ribbon yarns, I have made clutch bags and spring hats.

Archived