Hello from Pittsburg, KS, USA

macscout

Becky from midwestern plains of US. I learned to knit in elementary school, early 70s. Picked up crochet for a short time but pretty much stuck with knitting throughout my youth. Gave up all yarn arts as a young adult. Relearned knitting several years ago, far surpassing my former proficiency but am getting frustrated with usung circular needles for large projects so decided to teach myself crochet. I just unassembled a granny stitch afghan I started a couple of weeks ago. That was my first crochet project attempt but each row kept getting wider and more difficult to reach the next hook insertion point so I gave up a dozen rows into it. I'm looking for a simple but sophisticated afghan I can complete in time to mail for Christmas in early December. It would be great if I could finish it in a week or so. I'm using super bulky yarn and size N needle. Any ideas?

Hi Becky! Welcome to Crochetville! Sorry your first Granny run didn't work out. Using a super bulky yarn and bigger hook should certainly get a throw done quickly...I found these two free patterns, they might be a good fit? 

Weekend Granny Throw

Weekend Throw

Good luck!

Hello back to all of you. I started a "shell and ladder" afghan shortly after my post. It's going well but looks like it will need about twice as much yarn as I bought and will have to wait till December to buy more so still frustrated in my effort to get a Christmas gift ready to mail in time. Thanks for the welcome. I'm anxious to check out the pattern suggestions.

Archived