Knitted breast prostheses - really!

The other day I picked up a copy of the Globe and Mail newspaper and found this article about TitBits , which are knitted breast prostheses. It seemed like just the sort of thing that would interest you crochet addicts. The article will only be available on the web for a few days, so go now if you'd like to read it.

Here's an explanation from the TitBits FAQ :

For women who have lost a breast to cancer, purchasing a prosthetic is often a priority but the experience of finding one that fits properly and is comfortable to wear can prove frustrating. It was because I couldn't find a prosthetic I liked that I started knitting my own. Soon, other breast cancer survivors were asking me to make them their own Tit-Bits and so "Tit-Bits: Hand-Knitted Breasts" came into being.

I think you'll enjoy the photos of the tit-bits that are scattered throughout the site. (See top of the FAQ page , for example.)

Now I'm just sitting here sipping my coffee, wondering how long it'll be before some of you come up with patterns for crocheted boobs. :-) Because you know, when I see knitted stuff, my first thought is always "how could I crochet something like that?"

Anyway, hats off to the TitBits creator. (And if you do make any crocheted breasts, please choose a different name for them out of respect for her.)

Archived