Night splint or WILC

darski

WILC = why I love crochet...

Between my arthritis and tendonitis I have become concerned about my fingers naturally curling while I sleep.  I don't want them to get locked into that position.  I have looked at all kinds of assistive devices and have not seen anything that would keep my fingers straight during the night.

post-4896-0-27331000-1402592653_thumb.jpg

A bit of WW cotton and a bit of a Styrofoam tray has done it as easily as 1,2,3.

1. find cotton and hook

2. make mitten shape

3. cut Styrofoam to shape.

The Styrofoam provides just enough support to keep my fingers straight without adding a lot of weight.

Fascinating.  I know I wear a brace at night, but now that I think of it, your fingers do hang over the side.

exactly... I suppose I could wear my wrist brace over this if I had to :wlol

Thats a super idea.  I find that I tend to sleep with my fists clinched. My hands don't bother me as much when I try to sleep with my hands open.  Something like this would really help.  I don't think it would be hard for me to get used to it as I sleep with socks on my hands when I have poison ivy. 

If the Styrofoam cracks you could try plastic canvas.  I use that in crochet a lot as it's sturdy and flexible and washable. 

I think that would work well but I haven't had an PC for ages.  Interestingly enough I had to give it up because my hands can't do needlepoint any more.  It would breathe more I think.

I do miss doing needlepoint - it was so creative and so beautiful when done. :c9

• 1 month later...

What a fantastic idea! Not too heavy and a little flexible. If it becomes too warm, I suppose you could even try to make the mitt even more mesh-ish.

Recently, I've been thinking in the opposite direction. This last Winter was so ghastly cold that I've considered making bed socks and mitts. I'm considering making loose socks and thumbless mitts (not fingerless) in sport weight yarn for when I first get in bed during those times the temps drop below freezing and stay there for weeks or months. I'm getting too old for the hand and foot numbing cold at night, so I thought why not custom make what would make me feel a whole lot better. I'm seriously considering knee warmers too. Why not? I think we who have the talent to custom make what we need, like you just did, need to get busy.

My BIL has asked if my sis or I can make him hip warmers because he had both hips replaced. He says when the metal gets cold, his hips will really ache. Hmmm.

What a fantastic idea! Not too heavy and a little flexible. If it becomes too warm, I suppose you could even try to make the mitt even more mesh-ish.

Recently, I've been thinking in the opposite direction. This last Winter was so ghastly cold that I've considered making bed socks and mitts. I'm considering making loose socks and thumbless mitts (not fingerless) in sport weight yarn for when I first get in bed during those times the temps drop below freezing and stay there for weeks or months. I'm getting too old for the hand and foot numbing cold at night, so I thought why not custom make what would make me feel a whole lot better. I'm seriously considering knee warmers too. Why not? I think we who have the talent to custom make what we need, like you just did, need to get busy.

My BIL has asked if my sis or I can make him hip warmers because he had both hips replaced. He says when the metal gets cold, his hips will really ache. Hmmm.

I would love to see pics of what you design .  I agree that we who can do this stuff need to do it just to keep the design juices flowing. :wlol

Archived