yarn help

dottie

Question

8 answers to this question

I use Bernat Softee Baby. You can check it out here: http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=softeebaby I like it very much because it is very soft (perfect for baby's delicate skin). The other good thing about it is, it is very light in weight, despite being warm. It is also not bulky. The only thing is, it is not quite as thick a yarn as worsted weight, so you might have to change hooks to obtain the right gauge. (Or just add some extra stitches to the pattern to make the blanket bigger.)

I even made a twin-size afghan out of Bernat Softee Baby in Blue Denim Marls, and the afghan is not heavy at all. In fact, I prefer that afghan to my other afghans made out of RH worsted weight because it is not as "heavy-feeling" when it is on me. Which, I would assume, would be a good quality to have in a baby blanket ...:manyheart

I have also used Bernat Baby Coordinates (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=babycoordinates). This yarn is worsted weight, and has a shimmery strand with it. It's not as light or soft, tho, as Bernat Softee Baby. The shimmery strand kept catching on my hook, but I'm not sure if that was just me or if it happens to other people too.

Another vote for Simply Soft. I love stuff like CottonTots, but it is so blessedly expensive. Simply Soft is economical & holds up well in the wash.

Of course, even the rougher stuff softens up surprisingly well in the laundry. My daughters have afghans my mother made them from SuperSaver yarn, & while they're nowhere near as soft as even the Simply Soft, they're not superscratchy like I was afraid they'd be--not after being washed anyhow.

I also like Caron Simply Soft. Very nice for baby blankets. :)

I concur.

The first blanket I made was for my neice, and I used Simply Soft for it. That was about 5-6 months ago. Everyone likes it so much that they all take turns hoarding it! I have so many requests for simply soft blankets right now that I'm basically booked until Christmas 2007. :eek

I also love cotton tots which costs a small fortune. I'll have to also agree that Simply Soft is a great choice, and Red Heart also now makes a soft yarn very similar to simply soft that is fabulous to work with. Nice colors too.

Archived