Question before I buy this pattern...

smileygirl

Question

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sweet-teddy-bear-afghan

I have never made a pattern like this so I was doing some research to make sure I could handle the stitch before I bought the pattern. It seemed like I would be ok, but then the video I found on the dropped double crochet said that you work without turning. Do you think that is how this pattern works? If so, how do you do this? Also what will the back of this pattern look like?

7 answers to this question

without looking at the vid you found, it is not really possible to say it it will be helpful.  

However, the stitches are not difficult, without seeing the pattern, it is hard to say if there will be other challenges,

It looks like you will need to pay attention since stitch placement will be critical for the raised images.

I am guessing, but suspect that the pattern author is using both FPDC and BPDC (front & back post DC)

this would allow you to turn your work but still keep the raised texture on the same side

it does not seem complicated, just needing attention to detail and the instructions - I suspect stitch markers will be an important friend as well

I thought it is done from the same side as you only use back loops and that would need to be done from the same side and the LDC also.

I found this later after looking at the site.  info

"Work sc in back lps of sts, and dropped dc in front lp of st 2 rows below (which forms the design)."

So, you know how to work sc in the back loop, right?  When you do this, it makes a ridge on the front of the work, from the front loop that is unused. 

The dropped dc is not much different than a regular dc.  Instead of working the stitch into the top of the stitch in row below, as you normally would, you yo, insert the hook into the unused front loop of the sc 2 rows below, and finish the dc as usual.  This creates a tall dc stitch on top of the scs, which forms the raised pattern.  This doesn't seem to be using front or back post dc.

The back of the piece would not show the raised pattern, it would be flat but look a little different at the top of the dcs.

I thought it is done from the same side as you only use back loops and that would need to be done from the same side and the LDC also.

I found this later after looking at the site.  info

So does this meani would have to cut off the yarn and then join back on the right side every row?

So does this meani would have to cut off the yarn and then join back on the right side every row?

Yep!  That's what it means!  I have a couple patterns from them and have never made them just because of that.  Plus I don't really think "fringe" and "babies" go to together....just my opinion.

Thanks! I'm glad I came here first. I agree fringe isn't good on a baby blanket, I was hoping I could leave it off. I had no idea it was actually part of the pattern. I guess I'll find a different pattern. Thanks so much!!!

Archived