Gauge Swatch in the round

fc1123

Question

Well, I am trying to make a gauge swatch in the round.

Right now I forgot how to do a gauge swatch in the round the pattern says 16 sc + 17 rnds = 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Help I'm lost :think.

7 answers to this question

You have to make 16 stitches of whatever stitch the pattern calls for ( double crochet, single crochet, etc) - make 17 rows (or in your case, 17 times around the pattern) and then measure from one end to the other end.  If it measures 4 inches, your guage is correct.  If it's more than 4 inches, you need to go down a hook size  until what you make measures 4 inches.  If' what you made is less than 4 inches, you need to go up a hook size until you can get it to measure 4 inches.

If you're making an afghan - guage doesn't matter that much.

What are you making?

Sometimes I think that gauge swatches like these are added because they have to be.   Just start the  patter and when you get to 17 rounds - measure it.

Nancy's right - for some things gauge is less important.

FYI- concerning afghans-- It's easy to say gauge doesn't matter, for those of us that are experienced we've learned these things along the way, but for someone just starting out, it can make a huge difference. That gauge also reflects the amount of yarn that the item will use too.

If your are making an afghan and it's ending up just a couple of inches wider than it should, overall it probably won't matter much... until you run out of yarn! So many times these new crafters just buy the amount of yarn that the pattern recommends, they haven't learned (the hard way, lol) that if their afghan is just a tad wider than the gauge shows they will run short.

Be sure to buy extra.. a skein or two, or three, can give great peace of mind!!

What exactly are you making?  Is it a garment that is worked in the round, so you are basically making a tube shape?  You may want to make a swatch that is also in a tube shape to show how the stitches will behave when worked that way--that is, all sts are facing the same way if the tube is not turned, or if you do turn before each round it is still a bit different than making a flat swatch.  If there is a sleeve worked in the round the beginning of that would make a good swatch.  

I googled the phrase "16 sc + 17 rnds = 4 in. (10 cm). BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE."  and came up with this pattern http://marthastewart.lionbrand.com/patterns/L10191.html

Is this what you are making?

It's nice when you can start a piece of the pattern and measure gauge on that, but in this pattern you have to get up to row 15 before you get to where there are no incs and you can really measure the gauge.  it would be more helpful if they gave the gauge over the beginnning rounds so you could start it and measure that.  

If you really want to check the gauge on this I would just make a little flat piece of sc back and forth to see if the gauge is in the ballpark.  To me, this would not be a project where exact gauge would be important.  I would be more concerned with whether I like the fabric and think it will make a good bag.  

ometimes I think that gauge swatches like these are added because they have to be.   Just start the  patter and when you get to 17 rounds - measure it.

Generally I agree with RoseRed but not this time. Certainly not until we know what the project is and thus if just working the pattern for 17 rows will give the information needed. i.e., suppose it is the oval base of a purse. 

First because Gauge always matters for more than just the finished size -

Second because it is a good habit that helps increase the probability of a positive outcome - completed project.

For the "short version" of why,  I even explained a tiny bit in click to read more my "what wheat meant - a glossary"  about Gauge in the G section

It includes a link to the first draft of a blog post about Why Pattern Gauge Matters

Archived