Just curious

magicfan

Question

I am working on an afghan. I love the look of the stitch pattern and wondered if it had a name. You work a sc then a dc down the row. Next row you work a sc in the previous row's dc and a dc in the previous row's sc....anyone?

10 answers to this question

I made some scarves with that stitch last winter and it made a really nice texture. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the stitch was called. Actually I think I've seen it with a couple of different names. I sure the experts on here will know.

Harmony Guides and DKooler's Encyclopedia call it Griddle stitch.

I don't think these names are at all standardized,, and I am sure it has been called other things as well as Griddle and Up-down.  

Griddle!  Thank you, that was bugging me, all I could think of was Grit (no) and Granite (no)... :lol

Edit, interesting, the seed stitch seems to have multiple definitions in crochet.  I've seen

*sc, chain, repeat  --  then next row *sc over the chain, chain over the sc, repeat

called both the woven stitch and seed stitch.

What's funny is that 'waffle stitch' went through my head too, although I knew that wasn't at all right.  My poor (ahem) mature brain somehow must have filed waffle and griddle together ...

I'm not getting old, my Random Access Memory is just down-rev!

Archived