Alternate dc stitch from New St a Day

Is this the extended hdc?

No, it is an alternative way to make a dc stitch... at least that is how it was presented.  I don't think I have ever heard of an ehdc but I guess this would be the way to make it. :think:eek

I will say that the stitch is equal to a regular dc.

I think that stitch is in The Elmore Method crochet book (the 80's or 90's :think). It's between a HDC and a DC. The book has a lot of great stitches and ideas. There's a 2nd book , More Elmore Stitches (I think :think). If I'm right, there could be copyrite problems.

Ellie 13

I think that stitch is in The Elmore Method crochet book (the 80's or 90's :think). It's between a HDC and a DC. The book has a lot of great stitches and ideas. There's a 2nd book , More Elmore Stitches (I think :think). If I'm right, there could be copyright  problems.

Ellie 13

It is my understanding that a "stitch" cannot be under copyright; only an item made from that stitch.

Nope - no copyright problems.  Stitches cannot be copyrighted.  Only the exact wording on how to create it that's been published.

Most of the Elmore Method stitches I've seen are a form of a linked stitch.  I don't think I've come across this one before.  That doesn't mean it's not - just that I haven't seen it.  He certainly enjoyed exploring his personal preferences and coming up with innovative stitch ideas.

I've also never seen an ehdc or extended half dc before but this would definitely fit the definition of how to make an extended st.

I worked up a swatch with 2 dcs on each end and this st in the middle.  It's a smidge shorter than my dcs.  If I kept going with the swatch - at some point the slight height difference between the two would cause a problem.  It only took 4 rows for the center to start curving in on itself like the smile on a smiley face.

I really like this stitch.  It's really close to the same height as a dc but it's much more solid.

Yes, the extended hdc would be just a touch shorter than dc. The Elmore extended sts were made to fill in between the height gaps ~

sc to hdc ~ hdc to dc ~ dc to tr. They are basicly a ch followed by the st on top of it.

Good there's no copyrite problem, but different names can be cofusing.

The Elmore stitches increase gradually and are good for making triangles or things with points. It makes the sides look smoother.

Ellie 13

Good there's no copyright problem, but different names can be confusing.

The Elmore stitches increase gradually and are good for making triangles or things with points. It makes the sides look smoother.

Ellie 13

actually several stitches are known by several names the most notable would be the crab st which is also called rev. sc. 

Since the 'Elmore' book is not public domain I don't suppose I will ever see it :(

I checked this video out and found the stitch interesting.

While looking for a bead related item I found this "More Elmore" booklet for sale at Bead Wrangler if anyone is interested.

Archived