Metal hooks question

Avon Lady

Question

While making a filet bookmark, which uses a size 7 hook, I noticed that I have 2 Boye hooks, both marked 7--that are different sizes!  Has anyone ever come across this problem?  I'm using the larger one, and the bookmark is coming out way larger than the pattern says it will!  I tried the smaller one, and it doesn't change the size that much!

15 answers to this question

I've bought Boye and Bates steel hooks in the last few years that are obviously not true to size, like one marked as a smaller size is bigger than one marked as larger size. I guess we just have to use the hook that gives the gauge we want, regardless of marked size.

I think Addi steel hooks are true to size, based on a couple i have. I would expect the Japanese brands like Clover to be well-made also.

Go by the mm sizes.  7 is usually a 1.75.

Bates hooks run different mm sizes for their numbers.

The thing to remember is that it's just a starting point.  Try it with a hook up and down from the size and see what's most comfortable for you to work with.

Go by the mm sizes.  7 is usually a 1.75.

Bates hooks run different mm sizes for their numbers.

The thing to remember is that it's just a starting point.  Try it with a hook up and down from the size and see what's most comfortable for you to work with.

The thing with this is that one of the hooks does not state the mm--just the number 7.  :think  And I can't get the right gauge with either hook!  So I guess I just crochet too loosely!!  (Does that make me a "loose woman"?? :eek )

I've bought Boye and Bates steel hooks in the last few years that are obviously not true to size, like one marked as a smaller size is bigger than one marked as larger size. I guess we just have to use the hook that gives the gauge we want, regardless of marked size.

I think Addi steel hooks are true to size, based on a couple i have. I would expect the Japanese brands like Clover to be well-made also.

Where in the world would I buy an Addi hook, or Clover?  Should I Google them?

I also picked up a size 7 hook that is somewhere between my G and H hooks, not a steel size hook.  This hook does not have a mm size on it.  I picked it up thinking it was a steel hook when I was purchasing a bunch online.

As others have noted the mm sizes on the steel hooks are generally a better indication than the number system.  That being said I don't tend to conform to the traditional gauge to size standard.  Even with thread I'm noticing I need to change hook sizes to meet the required inch to stiches the guage lists for the doll patterns I've been working on.  It hasn't really been an issue as I've been able to find the range of hooks so I can move up and down as I need.

It's a bookmark.  I don't think gauge is super important but then again - I haven't seen the pattern.

Even with doilies - I'll work with the hook that's most comfortable for the thread I'm using.  If I use a 6, 7 or 8 depending on the thread - what?  it's going to come out a 1/4 to 1/2 inch difference either way?  It doesn't matter to me if a doily is 16 inches perfect or 16 1/4.  Besides - you're going to change that when you block it.

Clothing is different.  You need to work it to a very specific size.

No it is not uncommon for Hooks named by Letter to be of differenet diameter.  It is also not impossible or even unlikely that some from the same manufacturer may differ depending on WHEN they were manufactured.

It is not a quality issue as it is a lack of required standards - to the best of my recollection the only country with Required Standardization is Japan that this has to do with listing the diameter in MM - Japanese do not use letters (although the USA packaging does often reference letters)  In addtion to the MM - Japanese also have numbers like  2/0 and so on for the larger range   The German (Skacel and other brands) and the better Indian (Pony & Knitter's Pride) also tend to follow the Japanese standards pretty tightly.  I have included that reference in my "Aluminum Hook" reference chart at:

http://wheatcarr.com/crochet/wheats-aluminum-crochet-hook-cross-reference.php

As you will see, the issue is further complicated in that there is a size 7 for both Steel and Metal/Aluminim, plastic etc. You may find this helpful for many current brands for the "not steel"

By example, several years ago in an effort to "conform" with the sizes listed in the Voluntary Standards determined by the Craft Yarn Council - Clover changed two of its hooks diameter.  The unfortunate part of that was that meant we lost very useful sizes in the range where it really is needed, under 3.mm.  Fortunately Pony has kept the .25 difference in both 2 and 3 mm.  I've not yet looked closely at Knitter's Pride but suspect their quality will be as it is with their flagship brand generally.

For STEEL hooks, those used most commonly for thread and likely for your book mark project,  there are no standards. As the most cursory of looks at this chart will make clear"

http://wheatcarr.com/crochet/steel-crochet-hook-cross-reference.php

Depending on the brand, the "range" for a size 7 STEEL hook can be as small as .95 and to up to 1.75 just the brands I keep track of.

The answer is really , the dreaded gauge swatch or just keep trying different size hooks until you get the hand you desire for your project.

Where in the world would I buy an Addi hook, or Clover?  Should I Google them?

I bought my Addi steel at an LYS, and Joanns carries some Clover hooks. There are quite a few online places, I think Wheat's site has several brands, Lacis has a lot of small sizes. But yeah if you google you will find them ;-)

Addi is exclusively distributed by Skacel in the US.  Their corporate policy is to only sell to those who have a Brick and mortar shop - there are many which also have an online presence so unhappily for me, I do not have their product (would if I could but I can't  fortunately there are lots of other choices out there. ) 

If all else fails let me know and I can always ask another retailer if they can help you find what you need.

I have that 7 hook also that is between a G and H, mine is one of the clover soft touch hooks, it just states 7 on it.  I think hobby lobby brand hooks have that 7 too.    Project called for it and I had no clue what is was until a friend showed me.  Mary

I also picked up a size 7 hook that is somewhere between my G and H hooks, not a steel size hook.  This hook does not have a mm size on it.  I picked it up thinking it was a steel hook when I was purchasing a bunch online.

As others have noted the mm sizes on the steel hooks are generally a better indication than the number system.  That being said I don't tend to conform to the traditional gauge to size standard.  Even with thread I'm noticing I need to change hook sizes to meet the required inch to stiches the guage lists for the doll patterns I've been working on.  It hasn't really been an issue as I've been able to find the range of hooks so I can move up and down as I need.

The Clover 7 aluminium was added about 18 months ago to fill the gap between 4mm  and 5mm, is a 4.50mm hook

Since they already had (for many years) a G/4mm and and H/5mm - there was no letter to put in the middle. 

And then it really gets messy when you get above 6.5mm

Wheat, thank you for the info about the size 7 hook between the G and H.  I didn't know that.  I love Bates hooks, but they get wonky after the size K.  A Boye size N hook is a 9 mm.  A Bates N is a 10 mm.  Then Bates has an L and M in between. It makes a big difference in sizing.  You have to go by the mm size in patterns and as other posters said, crochet a gauge swatch.  My daughter's crochet hats are one size smaller than mine using the same yarn and hook.

It's a bookmark.  I don't think gauge is super important but then again - I haven't seen the pattern.

The pattern says the finished bookmark will be 2 1/2 " wide and 8 " long, but if I go with the No. 7 hook I have, it will be about 3 1/2" wide and about 10" long!  That's one big book!  I think I'll have to go down about 3 sizes!!  All I wanted were some simple little bookmarks for friends for Christmas!  I think they all read paperbacks!!  :lol

Are you sure you're working with #10 thread?

I would def go down a couple hook sizes.

No, the pattern came with #30 thread!!  Maybe I'll try a #8 or #9, if I can find one in my hook stash!  Thanks!

Archived