Red Heart With Love yarn

magiccrochetfan

Has anybody used this yarn?  I'm wondering how it holds up to use (for an afghan) and laundering.  

I saw it for the first time today at Joann's, and it looked pretty nice and seems to have a good color range.  (and the store actually seemed to have enough of some colors to make an afghan, yay!)  The feel of it reminded me of Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn, and the name seems like it may be trying to tell us the company intends it to be like ILTY.  

I am making an afghan with RHWL and I love it.

I have always been torn between using the original RH yarn and other brands like Simply Soft. I like the stiffness of the original RH. It seems to hold its shape better, especially when making squares, but it is not soft at all. And when I made my last project using RH, the lighter colored yarn was thicker than the darker colors, so the size of my squares wasn't consistent. I also came across several knots in the skein. On the other hand, Simply Soft is so much softer, but so limp and separates easily. So recently I decided to try the RHWL.

When I compared the RH with the RHWL at the store, the RHWL was thicker and softer, but not limp like SS. I am using a light color and a dark color for my afghan, and the thickness is the same. I love the way it feels and the squares are working up nicely. I have not finished the afghan, so I haven't laundered it yet.

It costs a little more, but it is definitely worth it. Our local Walmart doesn't have a very good selection though, so I guess I will make a trip to Joanns.

I use it to edge 'ghans with...I haven't tried making one with just RHWL yet tho. (I like multi-color yarns. They keep up my intrest if I'm not making random square patterns) From what I can tell so far, however, it seems to hold up pretty nicely. :)

Hi neighbor!  I was in Columbia today, my first visit to the new Joann's.  Such an improvement over the previous store.

So you have found that the WL edgings are holding up well to laundering etc?  

I typically use basic DC's, or HDC's, depending on the stitches I used in the 'ghan. I don't do anything too fancy, because I know me...I'll find a way of messing it up. LOL. So far tho, it holds up in the wash. :)  I have yet to see how it does with a newborn, however...

And oh my goodness! The new Joann's is literally about 5 minutes away from me! I even went past it today after getting my son off the school bus!

• 2 weeks later...

I made a baby blanket out of this yarn and I LOVE it! (the new owners of the blanket love it, too!) I washed and dried it in a lingerie bag and it came out perfectly, and even softer than before!

I like this yarn very much. It's holding up well with a hat and scarf I made my (grown) GD even after all the washings.

What I usually do with a acrylic yarn I've never used before is make a 8-12" swatch, then wash and dry it several times to see how it holds up. I wash it, dry it, let it cool, then start all over until I'm satisfied it will hold up. I've found if it's going to thin out, pill or fray, it will usually happen in about 4-6 launderings.

• 3 weeks later...

I use it to edge 'ghans with...I haven't tried making one with just RHWL yet tho. (I like multi-color yarns. They keep up my intrest if I'm not making random square patterns) From what I can tell so far, however, it seems to hold up pretty nicely. :)

I love the variegated in RHWL--it matches up so well with the solid colors!

Archived