Crochet Mags at WalMart

katysam

I live in the boondocks where about the only place to buy ANYTHING is WalMart. They had not been carrying any crochet magazines until recently. I ran into the magazine guy one Monday morning while he was stocking the shelves, and I asked him about crochet magazines. He wasn't unfriendly, but he didn't seem particularly interested in helping me out. However, since then, he has added about one crochet mag per week: Crochet World, Crochet Fantasy, and (hallelujah) Family Circle Easy Crochet. So, find out when magazines are stocked at your local WalMart, put a bug in someone's ear, and see what happens! :lol

I hesitate to suggest this, but hey, I work in a bookstore - a fairly large one with a large magazine selection. We carry more knitting mags than crochet (go figure) but we do carry FCEC, Annie's Favorite Crochet, Crochet World, Hooked on Crochet & Crochet!...

We don't have back issues, but if you folks want, I could pick up copies & send them to you. I'd have to ask for payment, 'cause I don't make a lot of money there, I just like my job. :D email or PM me tl let me know - the 1st of the month is employee appreciation day and we get a larger discount then! :hook

WOW!! Sealgair, that's awefully nice of you!! (thanks for the titles too...I now know which ones to go hunting for!) I have a couple places I can hit when I need a fix.........starting to get that feeling again!

Also, if anyone has a Publix grocery store near them, believe it or not, I found my FCEC there! I was amazed! I search *all* the stores mag racks now!

None of our big stores carry many. I looked at Target last night, and there were NO crochet magazines. SIGH.......

I found FCEC at Target on Sat.. Didn't find it at any of the other stores.. Went to look at Michaels didn't have it tried next store at Target...

Yes, thank you for your offer, Sealgair! I get to the city every couple of months to a Barnes & Noble, so I'll let those who don't have as much access to mags take you up on your offer.

One of the mags you mentioned that I've heard of but haven't seen is Annie's Favorite Crochet. What's it like? Is it a good one? So far, my favorites by far are Interweave Knits Crochet, BHG Simply Creative Crochet, and Family Circle Easy Crochet. Should I check out Annie's?

Thanks!

the last time i saw an annie's it seemed antiquated. the patterns weren't interesting and it just had an 'old lady' feel to it (i dunno how to describe this any other way)

They opened a new Walmart near me and I went to check it out yesterday. Not only didn't they have any crochet magazines but their entire craft section was only one short aisle. That included yarn, thread, scrapbooking, paints, stamping, stenciling, beads, knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc. I was very disappointed to say the least. AND most of the yarn bins were empty. This store opened only 2 weeks ago and already the yarn is gone. HELLO WALMART!!! When bins are empty, it means you need to restock and BUY MORE because obviously there is a big demand for yarn!!!! They had next to no crochet patterns and NO books whatsoever. I won't be going back to that Walmart even if it is much closer to me than the other I used to go to.

I didn't buy any craft supplies except a new cordless hot glue gun.

We have a good craft section, but I'm sure it's because there is NOWHERE else to buy anything within a 90 mile radius (the nearest Michael's stores).

As for yarn...I have discovered that I am the ONLY person around buying Homespun. When I buy some, and they get lower than two skeins in that color, it is restocked within about two weeks. Otherwise, it's the same stuff every time I go in there. I asked one of the employees if I could request additional colors in a brand they carry, and she told me it wouldn't do any good because they just get what headquarters sends them.

Thank the Lord for the Internet.

They opened a new Walmart near me and I went to check it out yesterday. Not only didn't they have any crochet magazines but their entire craft section was only one short aisle. That included yarn, thread, scrapbooking, paints, stamping, stenciling, beads, knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc. I was very disappointed to say the least. AND most of the yarn bins were empty. This store opened only 2 weeks ago and already the yarn is gone. HELLO WALMART!!! When bins are empty, it means you need to restock and BUY MORE because obviously there is a big demand for yarn!!!! They had next to no crochet patterns and NO books whatsoever. I won't be going back to that Walmart even if it is much closer to me than the other I used to go to.

I didn't buy any craft supplies except a new cordless hot glue gun.

That sounds like a "hometown" store. They are dinky, they don't carry much, they are sort of like a convience store with walmart stuff in it. As for how often they restock the yarn..the problem is that the yarn isn't stored in our warehouses...if it were, it would only take 3 days for it to come back in (thats the usual wait on anything walmart keeps in warehouse, unless the warehouse is out...) It has to be at less than half its shelf capacity, then it flags in the system for it to be ordered from the company. Once it fineally arrives at the wharehouse...it takes 3 days to arrive in the stores. That process takes about a week or two(or more), depending on the company the item is ordered from. (just FYI, cause I went and asked my craft dept manager lol)

Anyway,

The reason I hit reply was, to complain that our walmart doesn't carry anything but crochet fantasy. They did have interweave knitting crochet, but only 4 copies came in. They carry like 20 diffrent quilting magazines though...quilting is really popular here. I've asked them about crochet world, but the merchandiser who does their magazines says she can't get it. So I decided to *probally* subscribe to it. I'm just so reluctant to subscribe to something that I may not want EVERY issue to....I guess I'm just cheap :rofl

I always check Safeway, B&N and Borders and can never find the corchet mags--no matter where that store is. If i knew how to knit though... i certinaly wouldn't be abandoned and left to my own devices like I am crocheting. I'm willing to buy your magaiznes--just put them where i can find them!

• 2 weeks later...

B&N, Books-A-Million, and freestanding Joe Muggs shops generally have a decent selection. I was at Joe Muggs a couple of weeks ago with Katandia; I got the Family Circle mag and she got the Interweave. We intend to share. animal0083.gif

Archived