Sign in to follow this  
MrsMalt

Beginner With a Question!

Question

Hello!

I seem to have trouble crocheting in the round. Each time I try to make a beanie, I end up with ridges. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I just want a more smooth surface! Help?

8 answers to this question

Are you getting horizontal ridges, like bookshelves, or are you getting vertical ridges, like fence posts?

Please post a picture, and we'll be happy to help! Welcome to the 'ville!

This is what should be considered the 'right' side. I keep trying different things and I'll think I've figured it out and then (obviously) I haven't. Thanks for the help!

post-63468-135897780616_thumb.jpg

Hi! If you are working in double crochet--instead of chaining 3 to start a new row, just chain 2. The makes the seam less apparent. It will always show, no matter what you do, but this lessens the "hole" made by the ch-3. I even use this ch-2 when I'm making afghans!

Good Luck!

I also only ch 2 with my dc's.

But I'm not sure that I see what you mean in the picture. I think it looks nice :think

In the round in straight dc I will ch 2 and dc in the same stitch and not count the ch 2. I think it gives a nicer finish. Also then on an increase round I will not do 2 stitches in the first stitch but start that round with the individual dc and do the increase so it ends up at the end of the row.

I also chain 2. It's just that the wrist warmers I have made don't have any ridges/striations/ or grooves like this does and I just can't figure out what is going differently....

I can't see any ridges except between rounds, and that's very normal.

When you work flat, turning each row, your fabric will be reversible; it looks the same on both sides because if you look at the fabric, every other row was created with the fabric facing you, the remaining rows with the fabric facing away from your viewpoint.

When working in the round when NOT turning, the same side is always facing you, so one side looks different from the back. I wonder if you are expecting the stitches to look the same as when you work flat? For that to happen, you would have to turn your work every round.

Edit: actually I'm seeing grooves, between the rounds, not ridges.

Edited by Granny Square

Can you post of a pic of the item you're talking about?