Alternative to broomstick

bindi10108

It would turn out a different size is all. I've seen sample of broomstick lace where someone used like fingering yarn (thin yarn) and a pen in place of a broomstick.

If you have an actual broom, you can actually use the handle, and hence that's how the stitch originated in the first place. In fact when I was in high school, my neighbor was making broomstick lace by literally using her mom's broom!

You could use a dowel, or even go to Joann's or Michael's and buy what looks like a very large single knitting needle that is marketed for broomstick lace.

Good luck.

I used a sawed off broom stick handle for years until the wood dried out and started to spilt. Then it would catch on the yarn. But I just sawed off a old broom handle and slipped a rubber chair leg protector on the end and I was good to go. It lasted me about 15 years.

If you have a WalMart nearby, some of them carry dowels on their crafts departments, they can be substituted very nicely to make broomstick lace, or use a very large size of knitting needle. Hope this helps!

This is one I made from a dowel and a large bead. Works good, you just have to make sure any cut ends of the wood are sanded smooth. Use a dowel or needle to match the size of the open loops you want. Your hook should fit the yarn you use. And you can make anything you want. Don't be afraid to experiment with it. The yarn can always be reused.

post-14620-135897775086_thumb.jpg

It does not have to be an actual broomstick.

A pencil is not going to have sufficient diameter - so your work will look rather different.

Most hardware stores sell one inch dowels (they often sell replacement broom handles for that matter) rather inexpensively (the dowels)

FWIW, I use an adjustable HairPin lace tool for swatching or motifs - set your tines about half again the diameter of the loop suggested in your pattern, so if your pattern calls for a broom handle 1 inch in diameter, you will want your tines about 1.5inch

apart.

Another inexpensive possibility is pvc pipe, light, easily cut and sanded smooth and has the "advantage" of being hollow, so really easy to place a life line to help keep your work organized until you are ready to connect the strips. (this lifeline issue is why I like the Clover Hairpin tool, it is designed to make allow for easy lifeline insert as well. )

Enjoy The Making

Wheat

Archived