Favorite Yarns.

Hey! So I am always curious about yarn brands that I have never used. I am looking to try something different out and was looking for some opinions ,,, What is your favorite yarn brands and why?

Thanks for the input :)

James C Brett Marble in ww or chunky. Love the self striping

Caron One Pound are favorite staple yarn. I Love This Yarn by Hobby Lobby too. Almost always a nice soft yarn

Cascade Yarns Pima Cotton. Silky!!

I like Lion Brand Vanna's Choice, and I use the baby colors the most along with a few of the regular colors that are brighter. It's soft and works up beautifully. I always wait for sales though.

I also like Caron One Pound which is Natura yarn, not Simply Soft. The Natura has been consistently even, soft, and durable. They have the most gorgeous cream color I've ever found. I never used cream very much until I found this. Right now I'm using it in 2 blanket projects, and I always keep extra on hand.

I have a lot of favorites! :lol

Anything from lace weight to heavy bulky from Knit Picks (http://www.knitpicks.com). They have the best yarn for the prices....think LYS quality at Joann prices. :hook

Vanna's Choice is my go to yarn for afghans. It's nice to work with and I've never had a quality problem.

I also use a lot of LYS yarns, but can't say that I remember the names. I feel around until I find what I like. :P

I like Caron One Pounders, too. :yes I'm making an afghan with that yarn right now. Before then, I never really used it because the color selection in town isn't great. I'm not a fan of shopping online for yarn so I never went that route before.

I really like the "I love this yarn" ww at Hobby Lobby. It's reasonable, and very soft.

:manyheart

I love Berroco Comfort. It is so nice to work with. Also Batika (not sure who makes it). These are yarn store yarns, not craft store yarns (which is mostly what I buy).

Oh, I've been wanting to try Brava. Nice to hear a positive review. I also like KnitPicks Shine and other yarns.

Currently I'm working on a project from some lovely Malabrigo lace yarn from AuntBubbels (the kit and kaboodle swap from last fall). It's very soft, but very fine! Almost impossible to frog, as it's a little bit fuzzy. But I'm making Critron out of it and it looks fantastic.

My charity stuff is always made with Caron One Pounder, RHSS or other RH soft yarn, and right now I'm making a blanket from a Lion Brand Pound of Love. All perfect for charity blankets and seem to hold up well to repeated washing.

I just sent my swap partner some Cascade Yarns Alpaca Lace in this gorgeous blue colorway--I love it! In fact, I'm going to go back to my LYS and buy two more for me, as it'll make a gorgeous shawl.

I also like Gong cotton from my LYS, and have made my sisters Donna's comfort pack out of it, as well as a swap purse. Nicer than kitchen cotton, obviously, and strong, very easy to work with.

Patty

My current favs are Bernat Satin and Red Heart Soft for afghans. Deborah Norville Everyday yarn for scarf/glove sets.

I'll use Red Heart Super Saver for afghans as well if I have the yarn and it fits whatever pattern/color combo tickles my fancy.

Sara, definitely go to your LYS, is you have one, and check them out. Plymouth Encore is a great acrylic in a wide variety of colors that's only slightly more expensive than yarn you find in a big box store, but if you're looking for a particular color, it won't break the bank.

Cowls, mitts, skinny scarves, purses, tea cosies, pillows--there are lots of items that can be made from just one skein, so that you can try a whole lot of different kinds of yarn and still stick to your budget.

There are some that are just way too expensive, and not worth it at all, in my opinion. But I just saw a great, bright melon color that's gorgeous at my LYS from a company I'd never heard of. Mom and I make blankets for Project Linus, so I bought her a skein to use edging a fleece, to see if she likes working with it. If she does, we can get more to make a full blanket out of it. It's a little bit more than Bernat Softee, but the colors were stunning and so rich.

Archived