How do you afford crocheting?

I remember when I first started crocheting that the yarn seemed so expensive just to make a blanket. The longer I stayed with it and the more involved I became in it - having yarn around was just another normal expense. There were times when I scrimped and saved and put money away for projects I wanted to make.

I guess I just need to keep moving, I didn't realize that so many people use the Red Heart acrylic, all the online articles and all the magazines make it sound so awful. Yes I remember the 70's when the acrylic was not nice at all, but now it's so much softer. It seems like all the patterns I love though use natural fibers, or natural mixes, recycled cotton..etc..($$$$) so I don't always know what to substitute and make it work. It just takes time. I do get JoAnn's and Michael's emails and sales ads, I just didn't know if there was someplace better/cheaper. Thanks!

RHSS in just the last year or so seems to have improved, but I do know some colors to avoid. Some of the solids, a lot of the variegateds are more coarse. It does work ok yet double stranded with a good soft yarn like a Caron Pounder. I found that out from making Sue's Stash Buster Tote. I only one time made it from 2 coarse yarns and swore I'd never do that again..not that my wrist was going to let me!!

Knitmap.com is a site where you can search for yarn stores in any area of the US, also some international locations i think.

I've used that occasionally on my cross country trips..gotten me in a lot of trouble too :lol:lol

I use a lot of the Red Heart for various projects. The only time I buy the more expensive yarn is if I'm doing a special project for someone and even then I still look for deals. I only spend 25 to 30 dollars a month on yarn and have built up a pretty good stash.

I get most my yarn at walmart. I only go to joanns or hobby lobby with a coupon and if i just cannot find the yarn i need at walmart.. or if someone pre=pays me for a item i'm making, I only as of now get paid once a month. so If i dont need it I dont buy it if i can help it.

I normally use yarns like caron simply soft, red heart soft, bernat satin. which are definitely some of the cheaper yarns and with a coupon or good sale, are even better price. I also have a stash of red heart super saver that I've been slowly making into donation blankets.

I used to only be able to get yarn once in a great while for a project, but my hubby and I are finally at a point in our lives financially that I can add to my stash when I see a good deal and start branching out into some other yarns such as bamboo and silk. I can't use any animal fibers, so I won't be buying any really expensive yarns.

Archived