Thread size for beginner?

jpschabell

Hi - I am thinking about doing some thread crochet. Up until now I've just used WW yarn. I bought some thread last year but I had trouble doing anything with it. It just seems sooooooo small! Anyway, I was just wondering what a good size would be to start with and what everyone's favorite is to do doilies with. I would love to make a pretty doily, so I don't want it to look like yarn, but I need to start with something easy to use (for a clutz like me). Thank you!

A lot of people recommend size 3 thread. It will give you the feel of thread compared to yarn and it's about the size of baby yarn or larger. So it shouldn't be too difficult.

Keep moving down the sizes until you are comfortable. I would go

size 3

size 5

size 10

then for something truly beautiful size 20 and 30.

I prefer my doilies in size 10 or smaller. My favorites are size 20 and 30. I love the feel of a doilly done in these sizes.

The average crocheter uses a size 10 thread for most doilies.

Don't be daunted by size. Just relax and crochet and you will be fine.

Good luck!

I agree with Katchkan, start with 3 and work your way smaller with 5 then 10, 20, 30. Because of my "old" eyes, I don't go smaller than a 10. Since you are used to crocheting with yarn, give yourself some time to become "adjusted" with the thread. It takes me a little bit to get used to it when I switch back and forth. Happy Creating! :hook

Best of luck on your thread adventure. I've only done a couple of bookmarks and snowflakes, but it's my goal to make a doily soon!

I like to use size 5 pearl cotton for my bookmarks. Several of them are shown in this thread.

The angel was made with size 10 thread.

The size 5 pearl cottons are not the same as size 5 crochet thread. They have their own sizing as they are considered embroidery thread not crochet thread. Not that there is anything wrong with them, just understand they aren't what you are looking for if you want size 5 crochet thread.

Cute bookmarkers!

Archived